Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 FLHP this summer. I'm not a fair weather rider, but generally will not ride when it's below 50 degrees. Here in Georgia, we'll have some good opportunities to ride during the winter, interspersed with several weeks of temps in the teens, twenties, and thirties.

How should I prep my bike for winter so I can be ready to ride when weather permits, but not have any ill effect from sitting for several weeks at a time at temps 30 and below in an unheated garage?

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
One of my bikes often sits for a month or two without riding during the winter. I often do nothing to it other than hook the batt. tender up once in a while and it always cranks up and runs fine. IF I think about it, I dump some Stabil or Sea Foam in the gas tank.
Winter is my 3rd favorite season to ride in GA. Summer is my least favorite.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,464 Posts
Battery Tender is a good idea anytime there is a pause in the riding schedule. If you're going to let the bike sit up any length of time, Sea Foam in the gas is also a good idea. One other thing is if you're going to let the bike sit up for any long periods, either get the tires off the ground or every few days, go move the bike a few inches to change the point of contact between tires and floor.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Battery Tender is a good idea anytime there is a pause in the riding schedule. If you're going to let the bike sit up any length of time, Sea Foam in the gas is also a good idea. One other thing is if you're going to let the bike sit up for any long periods, either get the tires off the ground or every few days, go move the bike a few inches to change the point of contact between tires and floor.
All sounds good to me . :thumbsup :thumbsup

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Since your bike will only sit for, at most a few weeks, keep the gas tank full, refill even if only a gallon or less, when parking.( helps keep condensation to a minimum) Keep Stabil or Startron in the tank. Keep the bike on a battery tender. I pretty much do those things all the time, no different winter or summer!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Agree with all battery tender important especially on the newer ones that have the security system. Battery is always drawing juice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts