Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo ..... played golf this afternoon and decided to take the SG out to do some errands when I got home.

Geared up, pulled the SG out of the garage .... pressed the 'start' button. Nothing. Hmmmm .... Checked the 'stop/run' button a couple times. Yeah, it's in the correct position. And, I always have the bikes on a battery tender when they're in the garage, too.

Horn worked, lights are on, security stuff going on, radio works ... WTF?! Went thru the gears, turned off the running lights, thumbed start button ... no dice. Not a sound. Nothing. @$#%!!

Since I was geared up, decided to leave the battery tender on and take the Wing out.

Got back and the battery tender read 'charged' on the SG. WTF? Turned on the ignition, lights come on, horn worked, thumbed the 'go' button. Nada. You kidding me?!

And, then .... And, THEN .... like the proverbial light bulb going off it comes to me.

I DON'T HAVE THE @$#&ING FOB ON ME !!

Well, I didn't play all that well at golf either. BTW, I hate the fob. Got one on the Connie C14, too. Can't tell you how many times I've walked to "the other" garage to take it out and left the fob in the house.

Crikey ... !! :spank:

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Thats why i have my fob on the key ring with the key. Lol we all have blonde moments. Just the other day i grabbed my keys and put them in my pocket. Went to leave the house and slapped my pocket, keys yup i got emm. Locked door headed for the truck, as i went to unlock the truck, noticed i had picked up my fourwheeler keys, which dont have a house key on them..... luckily i had cellphone....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why i have my fob on the key ring with the key. Lol we all have blonde moments. Just the other day i grabbed my keys and put them in my pocket. Went to leave the house and slapped my pocket, keys yup i got emm. Locked door headed for the truck, as i went to unlock the truck, noticed i had picked up my fourwheeler keys, which dont have a house key on them..... luckily i had cellphone....

Matter o'fact, I do have the key on the ring with the dang fob. Just have the ignition switch off and don't use the key except to fuel the beast.

I've got to figure out a better way ... just not used to using a fob with the HD.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
My buddy had his fob on the bench next to bike , started bike, left without fob, got to the gas station 2 mile away and couldn't restart.
Walked home.:rofl:

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
My buddy had his fob on the bench next to bike , started bike, left without fob, got to the gas station 2 mile away and couldn't restart.
Walked home.:rofl:
It is very important to learn your security code and practice the override starting procedure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Yet another reason to argue the proximity fob is over engineering. The first gen push button security works just as well as the new when you want it to, and not at all when you don't.

I know a lot of guys who leave the fob on the bike all the time. Just make sure you keep a spare battery for it and/or learn the override sequence.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yet another reason to argue the proximity fob is over engineering. The first gen push button security works just as well as the new when you want it to, and not at all when you don't.

I know a lot of guys who leave the fob on the bike all the time. Just make sure you keep a spare battery for it and/or learn the override sequence.

Agreed. I'll prolly keep the fob in my "Harley jacket" so I won't leave it somewhere else.

I was never given the over ride sequence stuff. Guess I'll have to read the manual, eh?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you go over to the dyna forum there is a post about 25 posts in that has the entire procedure to set the code on your bike. Found it very useful. Even copied it down to carry in the saddle bag. You never know when that fob will fail.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So ... since I have a 2013 SG with a solid plastic fob, I guess I have the HFSM module?

·
Registered
717 Posts
The owners manual has a card. To carrying in your wallet with the instructions. As well as boxes to jot down the code. You will need the dealers code before you can reset and change it. In case you lose your Fob.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Well, the bright side is that there's nothing wrong with it. Glad she's not broken.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the bright side is that there's nothing wrong with it. Glad she's not broken.
Yes, thanx. I'm happy with this result as well.

But, we've had some conversations on the C14 forum about "fobs". The Kawa fob is more intrusive and seems to fail ... leaving folks stranded.

I need to look into how to reset the HD fob. Seems like a very difficult thing to do ... not something like resetting one's password. And, why would that be?

I like just having a "key". But, I'm an old dude and we seem to want what once was, but the world has moved on.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
287 Posts
Yeah, I've done it, with my old push button fob. Sat there, kept trying to start the bike... then finally noticed the flashing alarm lights... which aren't too noticeable when you are sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I've done it, with my old push button fob. Sat there, kept trying to start the bike... then finally noticed the flashing alarm lights... which aren't too noticeable when you are sitting on the bike.
So, that's what the flashing lights meant. I see them flashing all the time ... never knew what that meant. ??

1 - 20 of 56 Posts