Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FIL is pricing his first HD. I'm riding my first, so I am not an expert on pricing/value of used bikes.

He found a 2009 Fatbob with 12k miles that looked cherry for $13,000 without any haggling yet.

What do you think of that as a starting price for that bike?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Well according to kbb.com, retail value is $11875. Thats excellent original condition. With no add-ons.

Mileage sounds low and any aftermarket add ons could increase value. Is there an extended warranty? Does the seller have maintenance records?

Kbb.com trade in value is only $8700

If its a private seller id say 10-11 k would be fair.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
My FIL is pricing his first HD. I'm riding my first, so I am not an expert on pricing/value of used bikes.

He found a 2009 Fatbob with 12k miles that looked cherry for $13,000 without any haggling yet.

What do you think of that as a starting price for that bike?
For reference, in November I traded my 2011 Fat Bob to the dealer cause in over 3 months I never got a single response from my Craigslist ads. It was a 2011, Sedona Orange, 6,671 miles, and had stage 1 with Big Sucker A/C, SE tuner, Rush slip ons. Got $11,500 from the dealer. He had it on his floor for $13,XXX (can't remember exactly) and sold it--don't know what he actually got for it. He also still has (He has had it a long time) a 2008 Fat Bob with some cheap bags and some other minor add ons but no stage 1 and he is asking $12,8xx for it.

Be sure and check the Craigslist ads not only in your city but also in nearby cities.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
A brand new one can be had for close to that money! I'd say 8 to 10 depending on add-ons and condition.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well according to kbb.com, retail value is $11875. Thats excellent original condition. With no add-ons.

Mileage sounds low and any aftermarket add ons could increase value. Is there an extended warranty? Does the seller have maintenance records?

Kbb.com trade in value is only $8700

If its a private seller id say 10-11 k would be fair.
It's being offered by Calumet HD in Munster, IN. That's their asking price, so no effort has been made yet for their best deal. I haven't seen it yet to check what mods it has, if any.

·
EVO RULER
3,722 Posts
It's being offered by Calumet HD in Munster, IN. That's their asking price, so no effort has been made yet for their best deal. I haven't seen it yet to check what mods it has, if any.
They had three of those last fall asking 11,500 oops it's spring!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Do you like your in-laws?:laugh

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you like your in-laws?:laugh
Haha, yes. Especially that since the Wifey doesn't like to ride, her dad getting a bike will increase my miles. She thinks she can say no to me, but even she knows she can't say no to her old man. :bowrofl:

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
What I did when I found some thing I liked is search several places for that bike , ebay , Chopperexchange.com , CL , dealers and get an idea what comparable bikes are going for , he might even find one he likes better for less money.

It's surprising what you find on Chopperexchange , same bike with 30K - 40K difference in milage and $500 or less in price.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I never checked the going rate for when I was looking for my RK. At the time that bike was going all day long at 13,500. I bought it in Feb for 11,500... it did need some chrome work. When I went to sell the Sporty, black 98 pretty loaded, almost 40,000 on the clock, I put a ridiculous price of 4 grand on it... sold in a week, no haggling, that was in April the start of the riding season. Price is a relative thing, but with the season coming up, he's less in the driver seat than if we were in the middle of the winter...just some thoughts.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shopping for a dyna for papa has me wanting a dyna! Apes, forward controls, stretched out. Solo seat with that sexy rear end. Yum.

·
Thunder Down Under
1,584 Posts
Condition, past history and the going market price dictates the price...extras help in making the deal...mines worth more than I paid for it according to my insurance company. Apes are cool, just lurve mine, but make sure you have your bed roll as back support for long rides...

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Shopping for a dyna for papa has me wanting a dyna! Apes, forward controls, stretched out. Solo seat with that sexy rear end. Yum.
I Love my softail but I still want a Lowrider, never help some one shop your certain to find something you like :whoa

·
Banned
71 Posts
It's all good advice. Just look around some and see what there are going for in your area. :think

:coffee:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have got the wife's approval on a Road King, but I just am not ready to give up the sporty feel of my Dyna. It is awesome on a curvy road or just cruising. A bagger would be handy though. Decided if I wait till next year I can keep it and get the King.
Good Luck fighting the bug.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have got the wife's approval on a Road King, but I just am not ready to give up the sporty feel of my Dyna. It is awesome on a curvy road or just cruising. A bagger would be handy though. Decided if I wait till next year I can keep it and get the King.
Good Luck fighting the bug.
The king is nimble enough for me, but I LOVE the dyna look.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts