Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about HD lowering the MSRP later this month?

·
Livn' On Bonus Years
155 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about HD lowering the MSRP later this month?
I'll believe it when I see it! If they do, they'll just jack up the interest rates, extended warranty and such. Probably most cannot afford to purchase one straight out.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
oldbag... Wondering if maybe you can pick up the VRSCDX for a few less $$$? :)

Just received an email newsletter from my dealer with a coupon for $500 off on a new '07 H-D. It expires 1/31, and my bike arrives 1-2 weeks later. Gonna see if they'll honor it. :bat Just noting it for I know the hearts of many dealers might be softest right around now. Soon March appears on the calendar and with spring in the air, their hearts will harden.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a possible opportunity to buy a 2004 VRSC for $13,600 with screaming eagle pipes, 2 seats and a ton of extras. OR if I get Sporties (2) one for my husband and one for me, but they would have to be in the lower price range Sporties. What exactly is the difference between an 883 and a 1200 Sporty in terms of when you are actually riding it? I am more inclined toward the Sporties, but not sure. I am 5-8-1/2 and he is 5-11-1/2 so would I need a low and he need a regular heihgt? Does the V-rod price sound good? Up here the new ones are over $16,000.

I have ridden other people's bikes but never actually owned one. How hard is it to learn the motor compared to a cager? Are the manuals pretty explicit for even the not so mechanically inclined or do I really need to be close to a dealer?

How often if you did not know how to work on your own bike would you estimate you would need to go to the dealer?

If you live in North Dakota, do you have to drain all fluids in the winter? Can you keep a bike in a noninsulated, nonheated old garage or do I have to park it in the house?

Is there anyone here from North Dakota or any experience with HD in Minot or Jamestown?

Any help at all on my dumbass questions much appreciated.

Lucinda007

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oldbag... Wondering if maybe you can pick up the VRSCDX for a few less $$$? :)

Just received an email newsletter from my dealer with a coupon for $500 off on a new '07 H-D. It expires 1/31, and my bike arrives 1-2 weeks later. Gonna see if they'll honor it. :bat Just noting it for I know the hearts of many dealers might be softest right around now. Soon March appears on the calendar and with spring in the air, their hearts will harden.
Steve, go to the dealer before the 31st and give them the coupon for a deposit or down payment on the new DX. The V-Rods don't sell well in my area at all. One dealer has had a vivid DX on the floor for 2 months. The one I am getting from a different dealer for $15900 out the door with security. I guess because they don't sell here. I won't be seeing many anywhere I ride around here. I like that. Even in a unpopular area it will be cool to have something different. I think the DX is killer and I am the only one that has to be impressed. I have learned having bikes to have what I like and don't worry about what others think of what I have. They probally won't like the same as I do anyway.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I have a possible opportunity to buy a 2004 VRSC for $13,600 with screaming eagle pipes, 2 seats and a ton of extras. OR if I get Sporties (2) one for my husband and one for me, but they would have to be in the lower price range Sporties. What exactly is the difference between an 883 and a 1200 Sporty in terms of when you are actually riding it? I am more inclined toward the Sporties, but not sure. I am 5-8-1/2 and he is 5-11-1/2 so would I need a low and he need a regular heihgt? Does the V-rod price sound good? Up here the new ones are over $16,000.

I'll let someone else comment on pricing. I don't know about resale of the VRSC.

I have ridden other people's bikes but never actually owned one. How hard is it to learn the motor compared to a cager? Are the manuals pretty explicit for even the not so mechanically inclined or do I really need to be close to a dealer?

The first accessory that anyone should buy for a new bike is the service manual. While "an engine is an engine", there is a learning curve, but most routine maintenance can be done at home with a limited amount of tools. How far you go is up to you and your interest in all things mechanical.

Dealer visits are really a matter of mileage rather than time. If you figured a "major service" at every 10,000 miles and you ride about 10,000 miles a year, your answer is about once a year.

How often if you did not know how to work on your own bike would you estimate you would need to go to the dealer?

About every 5,000 miles.

If you live in North Dakota, do you have to drain all fluids in the winter? Can you keep a bike in a noninsulated, nonheated old garage or do I have to park it in the house?

Some Yankees will pipe in on this one I hope. I never have parked my bike anywhere else than a carport or an unheated garage. I have had one battery freeze up on me in the last 40 years (in Nashville, TN of all places).

Is there anyone here from North Dakota or any experience with HD in Minot or Jamestown?

Somebody else, because I've never been to either.

Any help at all on my dumbass questions much appreciated.

There is no such thing as a dumb question, except for the one that never gets asked; and thus, never gets answered.

Lucinda007

Hope this is some help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Speaking of sporties, and I hate to basically complete go off the topic of the post here, has anyone experienced dealers that try to talk you out of one the second you show any interest? I realize that I'm 6'4" and and that's probably reason enough for them to try to talk me out of one but I was never really looking to buy a sportie to begin with. But I went into many different dealerships while I was looking a new bike and on at least 2 or 3 different occasions, a salesman happened to approach me while I was standing there looking at one sportster model or another. Without quoting verbatim, the attitude was basically, "you should consider looking at, at least the dynas. They are only a couple thousand dollars more and you get much more bike for the money". Little did they know, that's what I had already decided I wanted anyway. It's almost as if the sporties are just there to get you in the door - hence the $99 or $125 a month offer for the rest of your life I guess.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing. I'm a HOG newbie but I've heard about the anti-sportster people and how they might laugh under their breath or make comments like "when you gettin a real bike?" or "that's a paperboy's bike" and things like that. But, I don't understand it. And the attitude I got from a few of the dealers (none of which I bought my bike from) seemed to reinforce that anti-sportster mentality. What if I only had $8500 to spend on a bike? Are they going to refer me to a rice-burner dealer instead of sell me a sportster?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
07FXDC... IMO, I can see a dealer trying to make a few more $$$ by getting a customer to buy a more expensive product. It happens in all kinds of businesses... not just motorcycles. That said, the sales person should be able to read the customer quickly and accurately and make it fun and as easy as possible to help them get what they really want. I'm OK with a sales person providing "some" guidance if they can tell the customer isn't well acquainted with the product line.

To be sure, the Sportsters are awesome bikes. Have a friend in Ohio who bought one two years ago and his grin is still a mile wide. I recommend them to all kinds of riders. Just did so earlier today at a dual-sport forum.

Only time my height 6'4" came into play was at a Ducati dealer when the sales person said there was no way I would fit onto a Ducati Superbike. That its ergos were to racelike and I was too tall. He was wrong ;).

BTW, Still liking that FXDC? Any dislikes? Have a friend seriously thinking about getting one this spring. If he does so, I'll bring him over here to this forum.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sfarson, yep still liking my bike. Never thought I'd change/add so much in so little time though but I hear that happens to all of us. The only thing I'd want, at my height, is forward controls and it comes with mids. I'm putting forwards on it next week though so all will be right with the world.

Now, back to the subject at hand, it wasn't just that they wanted to make a few more bucks off of me. At least I didn't get that feeling. It really was more like "you don't want that piece of crap, spend the extra money and get something nicer". Honestly, though, most dealers I visited were very hands-off, almost to a fault. They'd say a genuine hello when you walked in the door, tell you to let them know if you needed any help, and leave you alone. I thought that was very cool.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
When I went from a Deuce... very mild forward controls, to the Wide Glide (Nice forward controls), I enjoyed it immensely. Made a great difference. You will like.

Honestly, though, most dealers I visited were very hands-off, almost to a fault. They'd say a genuine hello when you walked in the door, tell you to let them know if you needed any help, and leave you alone. I thought that was very cool.
This is the way I like it when visiting a dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am more inclined toward the Sporties, but not sure. I am 5-8-1/2 and he is 5-11-1/2 so would I need a low and he need a regular heihgt? Does the V-rod price sound good? Up here the new ones are over $16,000.
Lucinda007
I'm only 5'8" and I think you could ride a regular seat height of any production bike on the market (although some of those motorcross bikes I do have to tippy-toe). But for most cruisers, you should have absolutely no issues with seat height.

If you're going with two sporties, I see no reason not to get two 1200s if you were worried about not getting one for yourself. The main difference you'll notice is a lower RPM on the 1200 at higher & higher speeds. The engine just doesn't have to work as hard to do as much. When you're actually just 'riding' you'll notice very little difference, however.

Just take the time to sit on (& ride if possible!) as many different bikes as you can before committing. You might decide you want a Road King instead of the sporties or v-rod. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts