Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:
I really enjoy this website. It is awesome. However I think it would be nice to share your experience with the dealers and what bargains if any you received while purchasing your new scooter.

For instance. let's say a new ultra limited is 26,900 and your trade in was worth xxx. Was the dealer allowed to come off the price of the new bike or give you a better allowance for your trade?

What experiences have you had?

Not alot of this topic going on.

My experience this past week was the new limited was 26,900, They were giving me 8k on my bike (2007 ultra classic with 45000 miles).

Told him we were close but needed him to come down on his or come up on mine. He came back with 10k for my bike and a 500 dollar gift certificate for in store purchases.

was real close to buying but will have to wait till May.

how about you guys?

Glenn

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
When I bought my 2014 SGS in June. I went to one of the two dealerships near me. Did the standard dickering and they came off of the MSRP of the bike by about $800 and gave me a price of about 10% off the stuff I was adding and $9K for the trade in.

Took the buyer's order to the other dealership They came off $1000 off MSRP and offered about 20% off options & $9500 for the trade in.

Back to the 1st dealer matched the 2nd dealer.

Back to the second repeated their original offer. Added 15% off parts for as long as I on the bike and gave me a no charge 1K & 5K service.

Deal done.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
wrgiacona, would you mind saying what dealers you are referring to? I'm not far from you and interested in knowing where you got a pretty fair deal.

and willig10, I've heard of some of the deals from those dealers in Dallas/Ft. Worth. You might think about giving Paris HD in Paris, Tx. or maybe one of the ones that wrgiacona dealt with. It might be worth the drive.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I went to my normal dealer that I bought my 06 ultra from that had 26k miles on it. ..they knew how much I payed for it so they only offered 9500 for trade in. ..no way José! So I went to a different local dealership that I have purchased a bike from as well. ..the time frame is late September when the 14s rolled out that week. ..I wanted a 13 ultra limited. ..they gave me 13500 for trade in and 2500 of the new bike! I had a great experience and couldn't pass up the deal.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Since I bought my first Harley in '11, I have received really good deals from my local dealer here as we have become very good friends. I am usually at cost plus 10% according to the HD software on their computer. That's one reason I have purchased 3 bikes in the last 2 years.

·
I dont know
367 Posts
The way to get the best deal is to have the dealer itemize all costs.

MSRP and trade value mean nothing if the dealer sticks a bunch of add on costs.

My dealer here sells for MSRP + freight + TTL - trade/down payment. They only discount MSRP if the factory has an incentive.

No setup fee or any of the other BS that dealers try and stick you with.

I just bought a 2014 Ultra that had 2400 miles on it, it was sold new in June of this year. I paid 21k. It has security and the 6.5 audio, about $500 in chrome and it had V&H pipes, but as part of the deal I had the dealer swap my Street Cannons on it.

Im happy with the deal, I saved about 5k by letting someone else own it for 5 months.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Here's my formula. Take the MSRP (no TTL, adds, doc fees, nothing else), add $300 and that's the price I pay out the door with TTL, adds, doc fees, everything else the usually throw in). For example, the MSRP for the '14 Ultra Limited was $27, 700. I told them I'd pay $28,000 out the door total paid by me for everything AND I want 15% off all the goodies I buy on the spot, that day. After I get to THAT price, THEN (as necessary) I start talking about possible financing and maybe I have a trade-in. The dealership can't layer adjust you as they can if they know you want to finance and/or want to trade in. If they try to get cute with a lowball on the trade-in, I leave.

Here's a fun link to see dealer markup from dealer cost: http://www.seedealercost.com/produc...s/index/id/76/productCategorySlug/powersports

Just my $.02,

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
wrgiacona, would you mind saying what dealers you are referring to? I'm not far from you and interested in knowing where you got a pretty fair deal.

and willig10, I've heard of some of the deals from those dealers in Dallas/Ft. Worth. You might think about giving Paris HD in Paris, Tx. or maybe one of the ones that wrgiacona dealt with. It might be worth the drive.
The first dealership was Landers in Little Rock. The "winning" dealer was Blue Bayou in Monroe.

But things flip. A friend that just bought pretty much the same bike without all the extras I added with a similar trade-in and ended up with a much better deal from Landers.

The moral of this story is go to more than one dealer. I should have also brought Texarkana and Shreveport into play.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live in NW Arizona and there is only one HD dealer in my town. My experience with HD has always been that's the price, take it or leave it. Last year a Victory/Indian dealer opened in town and when I went to the HD dealer and it was a new experience. Bought a end of year bike (my 1st HD) which they discounted and upped the trade on my metric trade-in above KBB. Got 10% off accessories or a warranty that day only. Bought neither. I'm wondering if you went to a HD shop with Indian/Victory dealerships nearby. Clearly this made a difference in my case. BOL

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
Last year my local stealer offered me a great deal on one of the new Ultra Limiteds including trade on my present bike. Couldn't make myself pull the trigger on the new design (I always have that guinea pig mindset on new stuff) so passed on it. Now well over the 40K mark so the trade in value on my bike has gone way down.
Had one dealer offer m MSRP on end of year deal and offered to throw in $1K worth of chrome. I told him that was like $120 his cost and didn't bite. I'm pretty sure I could get a great deal on a new bike now if I was ready to move

·
Former Lurker
3,967 Posts
I picked up my 14 limited (w\ the upgraded paint) at my local dealer last Dec for 27,000.00 with just tax added. I did get them to throw in and install Rhinehart True duals, SE extreme ventilator and a SE race tuner.
Shopped around with the last few dealers I had bought bikes from (in other states we used to live in) and told my local he needed to treat me right or he would not get my business.
I think he did. I am not real happy w\ their serv dept, but the next closest is 90 miles away.
Made more selling my old bike than trading...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts