Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all my Uncle is working on a 74 fl with the 74 shovelhead.
He was trying to change the primary belt and check a leak in the primary also as the belt had oil on it did not smell like tranny fluid so figure the leak was prob from the crank shaft seal. Now to pull the clutch basket off the shaft do you use three of the five bolts on the clutch for the puller or a hook style puller all the way to the back of the clutch hub? The other question is why must the engine pulley and clutch basket both come out to allow the new belt to be put on? Why would they do such a thing?but as the belt is broken, is the (8") bar method the easiest way to hold the engine pulley immobile while loosening the nut?

Thanks been a while on the old shovels but I know there are knowledgable shovelhead mechs here!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi just wanted to let you know I am not ignoring you. I just cannot offer any help with your questions. I never worked on a HD primary or a 75 either.
check out you tube and wade through the videos to see if any will help.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
I'm wondering why the bike has a primary belt, only Sturgis models came with primary belt drive. Custom belt setup ?
Anyways the comp sprocket and clutch both need to be removed to replace a belt unless there's a belt tension adjuster.
The clutch needs to be pulled off the tapered trans mainshaft. Install the puller on the clutch basket bolts. Also use a puller that attaches to all 5 bolts.
To loosen the comp and clutch nuts use a metal wedge between the teeth on the sprocket and clutch hub.

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
Also I suggest that you get the vented inspection and derby covers for the primary, the belt will last longer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure the belt drive was added at some point. He plans on running it open with a starter bearing support. Thanks Schmidtys! Does the engine pulley need a traditional puller or is it a straight shaft?

·
Retired citizen
23,387 Posts
The comp sprocket is on a straight splined shaft, should pull right off after the nut is removed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts