Harley Davidson Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You are jumping all over the bike. First primary, then tires then brakes, etc.
You have found 1 problem, the front wheel is tight. Have you checked the wheel bearings? The front wheel spacers? I believe you had the tires changed? The problem is almost certainly in the wheel(s). Stop jumping around and either fix it yourself, or take it to a good mechanic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
You are jumping all over the bike. First primary, then tires then brakes, etc.
You have found 1 problem, the front wheel is tight. Have you checked the wheel bearings? The front wheel spacers? I believe you had the tires changed? The problem is almost certainly in the wheel(s). Stop jumping around and either fix it yourself, or take it to a good mechanic.
The point of jumping around is finding all the stuff wrong.. But the noise is in the primary.. The others I can be taken back under the tires but the boise in the primary.. Ehat could they have done to cause it changing tires

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nothing , changing tires would cause a noisy primary. Are you sure the primary noise isn't normal chain noise? Chains do make some noise if you listen really closely.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My final drive is a belt.. So i doubt that its making a chain noise...
Now when the bike is off.. In 5th and tire is spun there is a noise on the belt side also...
But in no way resembles the sound heard when cruzing down the road...
I'm going to be tearing into it really soon...
Was wanting to have some money up before I did incase its something major...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Nothing , changing tires would cause a noisy primary. Are you sure the primary noise isn't normal chain noise? Chains do make some noise if you listen really closely.
Is there any way a bad lifter could make enough racket to be heard in or near the primary cover...
I'll tell you why im asking.
I had a freind stop over and we took a wooden pole and used it as a stethoscope
And the noise is Comming from right under the rear JUG and can also be heard in the valve cover...
Im not a bike mechanic...
What ya think

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My final drive is a belt.. So i doubt that its making a chain noise...
Now when the bike is off.. In 5th and tire is spun there is a noise on the belt side also...
But in no way resembles the sound heard when cruzing down the road...
I'm going to be tearing into it really soon...
Was wanting to have some money up before I did incase its something major...
Ink, we all know H.D. hasn't used a final drive chain since the 80's.
bobf, is referring to the "Primary Chain". I agree with him fully, Primary chains make noise! There is ok noise and Bad noise. Are there any Motorcycle shops near you? IMHO, you sir should take the bike to a "Motorcycle Repair Shop" and/ or a dealership. Ask for their opinion of the noise, and ask for a quote to repair it.

You can always say the funds aren't available right now. If you want to proceed yourself. Point is, trying to troubleshoot a sound via a multiple keyboards is impossible. What sounds like a rat to one person, sounds like a mouse to another. Deer, Elk. Moose, Bear (if its calm) all pretty much sound the same unseen in the woods. But some will run away, some will kill you! Have a Motorcycle Mechanic listen to it! Then decide which way to go from there.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts