Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can be used to protect the bottom of a chrome primary cover from dents and/or scratches in case you drop the bike. I have a 2004 heritage that I want to take to the parking lot for some practicing and thought there maybe something? Thx for your help...

Registered
Is there anything that can be used to protect the bottom of a chrome primary cover from dents and/or scratches in case you drop the bike. I have a 2004 heritage that I want to take to the parking lot for some practicing and thought there maybe something? Thx for your hel p...
What Kainam Said ^^^^ That Derby Cover will take a direct hit if you don't have crash bars. My Ultra has front and bag guards. I have dropped it (yes more than once:sick:) They also prevent the bike from lying all-the-way over (which would be a real PIA to get back upright). As well as prevent a lot more damage to the grips, bars, mirrors, signal lights and even the seat. Also strategically positioning highway peg clamps in "just the right spot" will prevent the front crash bar from getting scuffed up! (Ask how i know this!)

I put a "Mustache" Crash bar on her Sporty. (real easy to install and remove if you prefer the naked look) Ok i will admit, i dropped her bike just rolling it (Engine not even running) out of the garage. Shite just went wrong. Got the bike stuck between the garage door post and some chit i had inside the door. Dropped the front end in the planter. Had a hell of a time picking it up before she saw it...馃槻. The only mark on the bike was the chrome derby cover got scratched. So I installed the crash bar the next day. (Foresight is 20:10, Hindsight 20:20). It still needs some kind of side protection but, i haven't figured out what to use yet. As it doesn't have saddle bags. Knock on wood, that is the only drop with the Sporty (so far).

The Heritage looks good with the front crash bar and highway pegs. I don't recall seeing one with bag guards though. Still, you could get a used set to install just for the parking lot trials, then hang 'em back on the wall afterwards. (used dinged up ones cant be expensive). Could save you a ton of cash in the long run though! FWIW.

Registered
The crash bars will also help you stay safer as well . . . less chance of getting your leg or foot pinned under the bike if you went down with it.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

Registered
Crash bars saved my leg when lady hit me broad side. Car hit the bars and bent them but my leg was never touched my leg.
Also when she hit me it pushed the bike over on the over side and the crash bars acted as if the bike was on sled rails as it was pushed down the street. Saved the bike from getting all crashed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts