Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have to get this job done right away, I had to bypass the good advise given by some of you. I secured all the parts from Quantico HD and tonight I drained the primary. Noticed fine metal particles in oil (probably from clutch bolt rubbing on derby cover seal). Once I bring all replacement gaskets, bolts and seals, the breakdown will begin.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me, I will knock this out of the ball park! Dave63, Ron61 ematicic and some others plan on looking over me which I appreciate. You already have me some numbers for the clutch bolts, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,392 Posts
Just remember the cardboard cutout for the primary parts as you pull it off :) I forgot to do that just once for a reason. I drove in today again so if you need me to pick anything up today from there let me know. I wouldn't sweat the shavings too much but we will get a good look at all the gears on the clutch basket to see if there are any worn teeth.

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds good Eric! I will be heading to the dealer this morning, let's see if I can talk them out of copies of tech manual. Looked at a video of same job done on a 2012. Looks easy enough. My biggest worry now is torque wrench calibration.

·
Super Moderator
4,392 Posts
Also a good idea to make sure you mark up the shifter linkage as you pull it. Not sure if yours is in the way of the primary bolts but that was another headache I created. Not hard to get it lined up close but if you like where it is at now find a way to mark it so it goes back exact. I had the primary off several times on my Heritage so I will be of some help but once we are in expect a bunch of "I dunnos".

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a lot of confident people in my corner, ready to give a hand from far away. I dunno will not be welcomed today bud!

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
252 Posts
S1038, looking at the bolt threads it does appear there is no locktite on those threads. Should have some residue on them unless the oil washed it off. I would think that any bolt that has a vibration possibility or harmonics do to vibration should have some thread locker on them. Just my thoughts, may be some blue, medium strength, red may be overkill on a small bolt. I'm sure someone with experience can post, but I do see you got a manual, so you should be good to go.

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know Ron. Another buddy from my first ship saw my post on Facebook and suggested 242 on threads, found out today the red one makes hardware unusable on re-install. Heart broken. Saw a skunk today, I want one! Blk/Wht RG

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, started 2:33PM, stop 3:30. Floorboard shift levers, primary cover out. Removed chain tensioner and inspected. 3 grooves 1/16" approx. Should I replace it? No Dave63 just joking!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,392 Posts
Uhoh, see the bolts on the ground, hope you have a system for the order. kid sitting for the next half hour and I will be by with some beer.

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Hard Member
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
7:10 Main shaft seal installed, engine gaket in place, inspected race. Inner primary going in.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts