Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a loud slapping noise in the primary. It happens when I roll off the throttle and then right back on. Can the chain get loose enough to hit the casing, and is there any other reason for that sort of noise? The bike doen't jerk or jump like the chain is loose enough to skip a cog. It's a '11 ultra classic, stage 1 upgrade, v&h power ovals, 33400 miles and I use hd syn 3 in the primary. Thanks for your help. I try to do as much as I can myself, Makes me feel manly.:biking:

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I would pull primary cover, sounds like your auto adjuster may have taken a dump. You may see some thing by pulling derby cover first. Good Luck

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Have you tried to get your adjuster to self adjust? Accelerate in first over 30 mph,apply rear brake without pulling in your clutch till it almost stalls. Repeat till chain tightens. If you still have noise then pull outer primary and investigate.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Pretty simple to pop the inspection cover and check it...
And while your in there ya might want to give your compensator a look see.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
The primary chain can't over tighten. The auto tensioner is mechanical but it can't stretch the chain.
If you've ever had the primary cover off and felt the chain it's tighter than a bow string ! This a strange twist from the MoCo because prior to the auto tensioner the chain had a slack measurement, something like 3/8ths inch cold.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The primary chain can't over tighten. The auto tensioner is mechanical but it can't stretch the chain.
If you've ever had the primary cover off and felt the chain it's tighter than a bow string ! This a strange twist from the MoCo because prior to the auto tensioner the chain had a slack measurement, something like 3/8ths inch cold.
That can't be good for the comp or the bearings . :dunno

·
Registered
184 Posts
06 - 13 touring have a known deficiency in the compensator that results in symptoms like yours. Sounds like you are the original owner so you would know if it has been changed out before. The problem is a result of inadequate oiling to the center of the compensator. There have been at least 4 iterations of "a fix" all involve changing to a SE version. The latest includes a plastic diverter you glue to the inside of the outer primary cover, and some additional oil passages in the hub area to enhance oil to the shaft/hub. It is a DIY job or it is 3 hours labor at the dealer. Parts could be $600 depending which iteration you have now. Believe it or not it could include a new alternator rotor and they are difficult to remove dut to really strong magnets. Also the rear starter bolt requires a wobble extension or you will not be square with your allen bit and you will fu the head of the bolt. This is not a fun job if you do not have a lift. And the compensator clutch which comes off as a unit with the primary chain is heavier then you might guess. Goes on as a unit too.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
My buds Electraglide 06 had a rattle at idle only. It was stock junk compensator. He had just had into our local HD dealer for service, no one mentioned the rattle, attention to detail guys geez. Glad we went for a ride and mentioned the noise to him. Local indy shop did R&R.
Replaced mine after reading up on the compensator problems. Always had the loud bang on cold startup, along with occasional sneeze I called it. Blow compression back thru intake similar to a back fire but just air. SE comp installed in 2013 way better, No more bangs from starter engagement or sneezing. Have 10K miles on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 13 RGU does this when it's warmed up. I just bought it in December and it's done it since I got it. Only has about 250 miles on it.Took it to dealer, head of service says it's common, nothing to worry about. Then again he said harley's response to the head shake when you take you hands off the bars is to LOOSEN the fall away?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
My 13 RGU does this when it's warmed up. I just bought it in December and it's done it since I got it. Only has about 250 miles on it.Took it to dealer, head of service says it's common, nothing to worry about. Then again he said harley's response to the head shake when you take you hands off the bars is to LOOSEN the fall away?
Are you saying it bangs hard when starting then rattles after warming up ? I would check at another dealer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you saying it bangs hard when starting then rattles after warming up ? I would check at another dealer. Just my 2 cents.
No, it doesn't bang at start up. When shifting. If I roll the throttle off quickly, it sometimes gets that same "slapping" or "snapping" noise original poster alluded to. If I'm gentle pulling in the clutch, it doesn't do it. I can get it to do it by snapping the throttle shut at low speed as well.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
No, it doesn't bang at start up. When shifting. If I roll the throttle off quickly, it sometimes gets that same "slapping" or "snapping" noise original poster alluded to. If I'm gentle pulling in the clutch, it doesn't do it. I can get it to do it by snapping the throttle shut at low speed as well.
If your still under warranty take it else where. Something is loose in there or primary chain is out of adjustment. Check oil level in primary. Stand bike up right, oil level should be up around outer ring of the pressure plate is best way I can describe it.

Do you have any ride buddies may help you out. Ride Safe.:bikerguy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was reading the not so great reviews on the SE version, has anyone gone aftermarket? The one from Hayden Enterprises on J&P gets pretty good ratings.

Hayden Enterprises Inc Primary Chain Tensioner | 563-423 | J&P Cycles

Looks like a different design than the 2 available from MO CO, any thoughts?

Check out this article: http://www.hdopenroad.com/reviews/a-cure-for-the-harley-primary-auto-adjuster-blues-2/

I heard some chattering on my '12 FLTRU this weekend, I'm thinking I might be the latest victim of a failure.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
I was reading the not so great reviews on the SE version, has anyone gone aftermarket? The one from Hayden Enterprises on J&P gets pretty good ratings.

Hayden Enterprises Inc Primary Chain Tensioner | 563-423 | J&P Cycles

Looks like a different design than the 2 available from MO CO, any thoughts?

Check out this article: A Cure for the Harley Primary Auto Adjuster Blues - HD Open Road

I heard some chattering on my '12 FLTRU this weekend, I'm thinking I might be the latest victim of a failure.
Tried one, Made primary chain way too tight. called Hayden, sent them pictures, clearance was too tight. They said it would loosen up. Never did after 1300 miles. Took it out, reinstalled HD auto tensioner. Its for sale any one is interested.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts