Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my wife's '17 1200 Custom for a quick run, just around the block. I was checking the rear suspension adjustments I just made. (Trying to take some of the harshness out of bumps).

As I was approaching the house, I was in first gear, clutch released, I hear a prominent "whirring" coming from the primary. At first I thought it might be the jiffy stand rubbing on something. Nope. I tried duplicating the sound in 2nd gear to no avail. But then I'm near deaf! Then I discovered that the noise is gone whenever the clutch is engaged. It only makes this noise in first gear while decelerating.

I'm not at all familiar with this bike. I rode it home on New year's eve and one quick check ride after installing the windshield.
Does this sound abnormal to those of you in the know? The bike has 5862 miles on the clock, a mere 675 since we bought it. It is bone stock!
TIA.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just a shot in the dark . . . does adjusting the shocks affect the belt adjustment? I don't know if it does or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Retired citizen
23,115 Posts
I would check the primary / trans oil level and the drive chain adjustment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Its the dreaded whine. My 08 ultra has it. It has to do with the way the gears are cut. There is a post about it on this site.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the dreaded whine. My 08 ultra has it. It has to do with the way the gears are cut. There is a post about it on this site.
Yep, my Ultra has that whine also but, the noise coming from this Sporty is much more prominent! That's why I raised the question..👍

Reactions: dan313

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a shot in the dark . . . does adjusting the shocks affect the belt adjustment? I don't know if it does or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Good Luck!
I am certain: No. I softened the spring pre-load by one dot on both rear shocks. If a suspension change were to cause a rubbing or a load on a part. It would be constant or, intermittence would be based on load. This makes noise only in first gear, only when decelerating (engine braking).

This noise is coming from the Primary, probably the primary chain or possibly the clutch or trans. I never heard a clutch make this kind of sound. It is most likely the chain tension in the primary. That was my first guess. My second was fluid level. But the bike has zero signs of a leak anywhere and i did check the fluid level in the primary within a day or two of purchasing it and it shifts smooth as glass, even finding neutral is spot on, every time. The thought of gear whine did occur to me however, my lack of experience with Sportsters is the reason i made the post.

Schmidty, basically confirmed my first thoughts. I plan on investigating this tomorrow, as i'm stuck at home waiting for tree service. Planning on a Sunday ride, so i have to get it all checked out and test ride tomorrow.

She doesn't rev-match or use engine braking when coming to a stop. So the bike would never be in the configuration that i had it in, with her on the saddle. Which explains why i never heard that noise when riding along side her. I don't normally engine brake either but, i play with this bike when i ride it! It feels like a mini bike with BALLS! :p
I will report my findings tomorrow, or my lack of!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a AWESOME Day today!
Had a bit of a late start this morning because, my first action cam arrived from Amazon yesterday. So i stayed up to late tinkering with that. Woke up late. Duh! When i finally got the grey matter clicking this morning: I put Lisa's bike on the jack to find the cause of that noise coming from the primary side. The fluid level was perfect. The primary chain felt kinda sloppy. So I pulled the spark plugs and put the trans in 5th gear to roll the engine over. That is fun! I picked the tightest tension on the chain that i could find. It was about 3/8" too loose. Adjusted it to just under 1/2" free play. Got it back together and test rode it. The noise is history! Yea!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my wife's '17 1200 Custom for a quick run, just around the block. I was checking the rear suspension adjustments I just made. (Trying to take some of the harshness out of bumps).

As I was approaching the house, I was in first gear, clutch released, I hear a prominent "whirring" coming from the primary. At first I thought it might be the jiffy stand rubbing on something. Nope. I tried duplicating the sound in 2nd gear to no avail. But then I'm near deaf! Then I discovered that the noise is gone whenever the clutch is engaged. It only makes this noise in first gear while decelerating.

I'm not at all familiar with this bike. I rode it home on New year's eve and one quick check ride after installing the windshield.
Does this sound abnormal to those of you in the know? The bike has 5862 miles on the clock, a mere 675 since we bought it. It is bone stock!
TIA.
I have a 16 Iron 883 that I bough practically new, and I think I know what you are talking about. My "noise" happens once the bike has warmed up, it doesn't do it when its cold. Its always done it, ever since I bought it with only 300 miles on it. I was told the primary chain might be too tight. I checked the tension of the primary, I replaced the oil, and I checked the drive belt. Everything checks out good.The bike otherwise rides and handles fine. With everything checking out, Im just going to attribute as a sound a Harley makes.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 16 Iron 883 that I bough practically new, and I think I know what you are talking about. My "noise" happens once the bike has warmed up, it doesn't do it when its cold. Its always done it, ever since I bought it with only 300 miles on it. I was told the primary chain might be too tight. I checked the tension of the primary, I replaced the oil, and I checked the drive belt. Everything checks out good.The bike otherwise rides and handles fine. With everything checking out, Im just going to attribute as a sound a Harley makes.
Some transmissions are noisy (er) than others. My 14 Ultra is inherently noisy. It has that tranny whine along with the extra sounds of the twin cam. The sound her sporty was making was much more pronounced and seemed to happen only when engine breaking, only in first gear.. Those limiting factors are what alerted me to investigate. This sound didn't seem to matter weather or not the bike was cold or up to temp.

If the noise you are experiencing changes at any time, it's trying to tell you "somethings up".. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jettech79, I just re-read your post and it hit me: When adjusting the primary chain, always adjust it with the chain at its tightest spot at the top (where you check the slack). Then adjust to just within the max (loosest) tolerance called out. My book calls out 3/8 to 1/2" cold. So i adjust to as close to 7/16" (0.4375") as i can get. In other words maximum looseness within tolerance. This allows it to tighten up a bit when hot and still be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts