Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing the oils on my street glide the other day I noticed the oil had a shimmer to it. I was doing the 5k service. Had some metal on the drain plug. Wondering if this is normal it's my first harley. I was using the syn3 in all holes but when I changed it the other day I switched to bel ray in trans and primary

·
South GA *******
3,898 Posts
You will have some particulate....wow that's a big word for me.... In the primary oil because the clutch and other various moving parts like the stator and rotor and chain on primary tensioner... A little is normal but an extreme amount may not be normal.

·
*Senior Member*
138 Posts
I too, had the same issue and everyone here told me the same thing. The clutch pack, primary chain, etc. looses some particles that come off during your rides. It should not be an issue but I would definitely check it again at the next oil change.

And that's what the magnetic drain plug is for! To help us!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Normal. You have metallic material in your clutch fiber discs, as well as the chain wears into the primary sprockets.

If it's EXCESSIVE, there's an issue. A slight glimmer and some hairies on the drain plug magnet are common, especially with a new bike or new primary internal parts. Chips, shavings and hunks are not. Whiskers, fuzzies and tiny fragments are.

Definition of terms subject to change. Void in Germany, Switzerland and Mexico. MasterCard and Visa accepted. SOrry....no American Express.

Your results may vary.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Normal. You have metallic material in your clutch fiber discs, as well as the chain wears into the primary sprockets.

If it's EXCESSIVE, there's an issue. A slight glimmer and some hairies on the drain plug magnet are common, especially with a new bike or new primary internal parts. Chips, shavings and hunks are not. Whiskers, fuzzies and tiny fragments are.

Definition of terms subject to change. Void in Germany, Switzerland and Mexico. MasterCard and Visa accepted. SOrry....no American Express.

Your results may vary.
American Express accepted in Asian Brothels.

·
Done
4,154 Posts

Your results may vary.
Gonna blow this up and print it out so I can hang this next to the tool box. Perfect terminology. :laugh

·
Super Moderator
5,215 Posts
Was changing my own fluids at 11K, ok a little late and the primary looked fine. However, I did find half of a small metal clamp looking thingy in the engine oil. I brought it to the dealer and they were quick to say it was no big deal and looked like something from the assembly process but I had them log it into their system anyhow so there was a reference point. I should have take a pic. If the clamp were whole it would have been the same circumference as a pencil eraser and it was a very pliable material.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The primary drain plug magnet only catches .001% of the metal particles that is in the primary oil. The rest will collect by the inside edge of the clutch spring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts