Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start a whole ordeal about oil, I'm just wondering if a straight 30w or say a 20-50 would be better in the primary. I asked my local dealer and he said he use's the HD oil but didn't know if it was a straight weight or not. I live in the south and it gets pretty freakin' hot down here in the summer and I just want to make sure I'm using the right stuff.

Before somebody goes off on me and tells me to search the forum, I have and really couldn't find much.

Thanks for the advice.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Something wet clutch specific like motorcycle 20/50 or HD Formula plus is good.

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there an advantage to running ATF instead of Synthetic Oil or is it just personal preference ? I read somewhere on here someone said ATF helps keep things cleaner in the primary.

Thanks for the input guys. It sure helps the learning curve.

Dave61, Now you tell me about the dryer thing... never could figure out why every time I went in the garage I passed out. I always thought It was because I drank to much.

·
Screw it, let's ride
290 Posts
Is there an advantage to running ATF instead of Synthetic Oil or is it just personal preference ? I read somewhere on here someone said ATF helps keep things cleaner in the primary.
With 20W50 in the primary, I had a clunk when going into first gear from neutral. Also, neutral was somewhat tricky to find. After switching to synthetic ATF, the first gear clunk is gone and neutral is a breeze to find, even when the engine isn't running. My clutch also seems somewhat smoother for lack of a better term.

These are just my unscientific findings.

·
Lost in Space
6,851 Posts
I started using Lucas Oil Primary fluid. Pretty inexpensive and made finding neutral actually possible.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I change the primary every time I change the crank case - every 3k-4K miles.

I use synthetic gear oil in the transmission. I change it every third time. I figure if it is rated for 100K in a Ford transfer case, it'll be okay to go 9k-10k in an MC transmission. I changed the transmission with every oil change the first couple of times. At 3,000 miles, it was like I was pouring out brand new oil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts