Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Go Mets!!!!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2003 FXSTB Night Train and love it! It is carbureted with a stage one upgrade. My only complaint is that it seems to be geared too low. I have compared the final drive ratios of the 03 with an 08 and found that the later is geared higher (numerically lower) by about 8%. It was suggested to me that changing the primary ratio will adjust this without having to recalibrate the speedometer. Does anyone have any experience with this type of mod? Where can I get the parts/kit? Does anyone have any comments on this idea? :ride

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,174 Posts
Well, I don't think it sounds like very good idea to me. Just IMHO.

I would think your bike is not going to like the same final drive, as a bike with:

1584cc/96 CID compared to your 1449cc/88 CID
111.25mm stroke, compared to your 101.5mm stroke
87.9 ft/lbs tq compared to your 81.1 ft/lbs tq
6 speed tranny compared to your 5 speed

If you're inclined to do some math, figure the equivalent final drive with the differences in tranny gear ratios.

A sweet upgrade I would consider is the big bore cylinders to go up to 95 inches, it's a real bargain as far as parts cost goes.

And welcome aboard.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a question for you Hans solo..I have an FLH 1984 with a 24 t comp sprocket, 24 t on the clutch basket and a 37 t..and the rear wheel sprocket is a 47t..I have to ride the clutch alot to get ur rolling..changing the rear wheel sprocket up a few teeth, will that get ur rolling easier ? thx,Duane

1 - 6 of 6 Posts