Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

To keep it relatively short, I have a 09 FLHRC with a Barnett Carbon Fiber extra plate kit and a SE Compensator sprocket that was replaced approx 3 years ago... the bike has done approx 10K - 15K miles since and there's been no issues.

My bike was serviced by an indy 2 weeks ago and he noticed that the primary oil was smelly (HD brand - he changed 2K miles previously).

Main problem is:

I now have a rattle from the primary when the clutch is fully pulled in... if I let the clutch out (approximately) less than 1/4 inch the rattle disappears and the bike shifts normally... The primary chain auto tensioner is tight and not worn, The clutch was checked and adjusted by the indy to the required spec at 1/8 inch at the lever.

I am thinking that my stock clutch spring diaphragm may be de-tensioned (flat or worn?) and the clutch plates becoming loose/broken, but I can't check the primary and clutch till this weekend.

Does anyone have any tips for me to check?

Has anyone had issues with the sock clutch spring diaphragm and the Barnett CF extra plate kit?

Thanks,

Aussie Ads

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
Also the smelly primary oil might be an indicator of the stator getting ready to crap out. Depends on the smell though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replies... the clutch was adjusted correctly previously. I removed the primary chain case cover today and started the bike, the problem randomly happened and is the starter jackshaft vibrating slightly forward and catching on the clutch shell gear when the bike was running and in neutral. It was a nasty sound and sight...

It doesn't do it often but is more random... The 2009 starter motor is a stock one, so can I just replace the starter motor clutch and return spring? Is there a better after market starter clutch that can be used instead of the stock one? I work in electronics engineering and understand electrics... how hard is it to over haul / replace the starter motor clutch and springs?

For info, the main shaft bearing and race was changed 3-4 years ago along with the compensator sprocket, rotor and a new 60 amp CE stator...

Cheers,

Aussie Ads..

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
To replace the starter over run clutch the starter needs to be removed and disassembled.
Also when running the starter with the primary cover removed the starter pinion shaft has no support and will wobble around a bunch. The cover has a bushing in it that supports the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Schmidtys, even on a 2009 FLHRC? My pinion shaft actually retracts into the housing but I did see it poke out briefly and hit the spinning flywheel... that is what made the grinding sound...

I spoke to my local Harley parts center and they said that the return spring is not longer supported and i'd have to find a replacement.... what a load of crap, are they trying to force the consumer to buy a whole starter motor unit?

I am stuck and guess that i'll dis-assemble the clutch assembly to see if I can sort out the spring issue.... How good are the "All Ball's Starters"?

·
Retired citizen
24,534 Posts
Yep, I missed the '09 part of your post.
All Balls are good stuff but pricey.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks Schmidtys, even on a 2009 FLHRC? My pinion shaft actually retracts into the housing but I did see it poke out briefly and hit the spinning flywheel... that is what made the grinding sound...

I spoke to my local Harley parts center and they said that the return spring is not longer supported and i'd have to find a replacement.... what a load of crap, are they trying to force the consumer to buy a whole starter motor unit?

I am stuck and guess that i'll dis-assemble the clutch assembly to see if I can sort out the spring issue.... How good are the "All Ball's Starters"?
Go to a local starter/alternator repair shop. They can either rebuild your starter or just sell you the return spring you need . :thumbsup :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts