Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just changed primary oil and now I have this whining which wasn't there before. Used Lucas brand Synthetic 20w-50 on a 2001 Electric Glide Ultra Classic. Any help is appreciated.

·
old scoot coot
3,346 Posts

Just changed primary oil and now I have this whining which wasn't there before. Used Lucas brand Synthetic 20w-50 on a 2001 Electric Glide Ultra Classic. Any help is appreciated.
what was in it before change? how many miles on bike?. have you ridden it yet?

·
Registered
529 Posts
How much oil did you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what was in it before change? how many miles on bike?. have you ridden it yet?
I rode it yesterday and changed all the fluids today. I had the same fluid Lucas Synthetic in the primary prior to changing it. I filled it with 32oz of fluid.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm no HD tech! SWAG;
My first guess was under or over filled primary however, you stated that you put one quart in. (Sounds about right) So long as the lip of the clutch is wet.
Have you recently adjusted the primary chain? I noticed that the 2001 has manual adjustment. I would pop that inspection cover to check the chain adjustment and the chain tensioner and the pad. Although it does not sound like chain slap, it could be too tight.
How did the magnet look on the drain plug, did the amount of metal stuck on the plug seem abnormal, when you drained it?

·
old scoot coot
3,346 Posts
take it for a short ride and listen for the (box of rocks) sound of compensater going south. changing fluid shouldn't have sarted new sound. how many miles on bike? i just listened to vidio. when you throttle it up noise goes away sounds chain related. check chain tension if its too loose adj. if not i'd pop the cover off and investigate.

·
Retired citizen
22,894 Posts
Does the sound change when the clutch handle is pulled in ?
I would take the inspection cover off for a look see.
If you can turn the comp sprocket with a pry bar without the rotor turning the comp nut is loose. Sprocket and rotor should rotate together.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,160 Posts
Yikes good thing you posted a video with sound. Be tough to mimic that noise in type.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Did a bird get in there? ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I rode it yesterday and changed all the fluids today. I had the same fluid Lucas Synthetic in the primary prior to changing it. I filled it with 32oz of fluid.
I guess it varies by model, but mine takes 36 oz. not 32.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
5spd is 32 oz. and 6spd is 38 oz. in the primary.
Isnt there a difference between a complete dry fill and a regular change oil fill. ? Mine gets over filled on a regular change, so I do it by oil level looking in derby cover.

·
Retired citizen
22,894 Posts
Isnt there a difference between a complete dry fill and a regular change oil fill. ? Mine gets over filled on a regular change, so I do it by oil level looking in derby cover.
Yes and the manuals provide that info, generally stated in the specs section. That info also shows up in the tech drivetrain assembly sections.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
Yes and the manuals provide that info, generally stated in the specs section. That info also shows up in the tech drivetrain assembly sections.
Oil was dripping out of output shaft when I put full 32oz. in. Lesson learned.

·
Retired citizen
22,894 Posts
What's the output shaft ? Do ya mean the trans mainshaft ? Oil dripping from that spot indicates a failed inner primary seal.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
What's the output shaft ? Do ya mean the trans mainshaft ? Oil dripping from that spot indicates a failed inner primary seal.
Yes sir. Wrong nomenclature. Was putting 32 oz. during regular oil changes Lowered oil level no more drips since 2013. Running Castrol 10-40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts