Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the stars, moon and the universe finally aligned, and I got my scoot out for the first time this year. I am one happy camper, not only to finally get back into the wind again, but to be riding a different bike. Changed cams over the winter, what a difference. Lots of low and mid range, I could finally shift by sound rather than keeping an eye on the tach. The real test, 5th gear at 50. Normally that really pizzes her off, no problem, now. So I sent a text to my ridding buddy, it said "you better hope I miss a shift our first run" Reply "why?" My message back "your gonna be in my mirrors".

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Well, the stars, moon and the universe finally aligned, and I got my scoot out for the first time this year. I am one happy camper, not only to finally get back into the wind again, but to be riding a different bike. Changed cams over the winter, what a difference. Lots of low and mid range, I could finally shift by sound rather than keeping an eye on the tach. The real test, 5th gear at 50. Normally that really pizzes her off, no problem, now. So I sent a text to my ridding buddy, it said "you better hope I miss a shift our first run" Reply "why?" My message back "your gonna be in my mirrors".
did my motor this winter also- its a awesome feeling isnt it!!!

congrats

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Congrats, I am sure she still sounds as good as before.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, I am sure she still sounds as good as before.
The sound has changed, couldn't tell in storage when I fired her up, but sitting at lights.. she's got a bad azz sound to her...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did my motor this winter also- its a awesome feeling isnt it!!!

congrats
Thanks, its like riding a new bike, can't wait to get about 300 miles on it, then crank the throttle and see what she'll do.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Congrats , arn't you glad you went with cams instead of just doing tensioners , must have been killing you to have to wait this long to try her out .

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats , arn't your glad you went with cams instead of just doing tensioners , must have been killing to have to wait this long to try her out .
Thats what makes this forum a great place, plus all the people you meet. Thanks to those here, I was able to do this and do it right. Longest 6 months of my life. But unavoidable. Couple hundred miles, an oil change and we'll be ready for ES!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think cams need breaking in. Hit it!

--

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
It doesn't hurt to do a little break in on cams. You have new components in your engine. the lifters have to mate to the cams. For sure wouldn't hurt to change that oil after a few hundred miles. will probably be a little metal in the oil after the cams and lifters mate.

I'm really interested in what you think about those 57's. I've got the 255's (they were in the bike when I got it). I really think the 57's would be a better cam. Are you going to have it dyno'd? If you do, I would like to see the chart afterwards.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Congrats, Gold! Did you have to do a bunch of other stuff too or just throw in the cams and lifters? Did they bolt in, or did the tops have to come off? Mind if I ask what it cost? I think when my Wide Glide sells, I'll hold back a bit of dough and put cams in the Road King. If those things are making you grin from ear to ear, I think I should follow suit.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats, Gold! Did you have to do a bunch of other stuff too or just throw in the cams and lifters? Did they bolt in, or did the tops have to come off? Mind if I ask what it cost? I think when my Wide Glide sells, I'll hold back a bit of dough and put cams in the Road King. If those things are making you grin from ear to ear, I think I should follow suit.
Thanks. No top end work, Scott set me up with a plug and go type thing, only had to get a couple of o rings and misc stuff. I think it cost around 1100 but that also includes buying the puller installer. Cams, tensioners, reworked oil pump, push rods, lifters and thats about it. I am impressed it really woke up that 103.

I'm really interested in what you think about those 57's. I've got the 255's (they were in the bike when I got it). I really think the 57's would be a better cam. Are you going to have it dyno'd? If you do, I would like to see the chart afterwards.
I think I'm going to run a couple hundred miles just to let them settle in, can't hurt. I'm sure there's bits of some stuff that need to come out. First crack out of the barrel, I can shift when it sounds right, usually I have to watch my tach at around 50 so I don't go for 5th too soon, pizzes the engine off. Going uphill I hit 5th at 50 just to see, no problem or issue, damn thing really pulls at the lower end. I goosed it a bit, just to have it push me back in the seat. I'm probably going to have to relearn how it reacts now. I will probably have it dyno'd if I do, I'll show you the sheet from stock to what the 57s did, very interested myself.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Sounds like you're all set to have a good time riding to ES. Just remember that gasoline :).

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like you're all set to have a good time riding to ES. Just remember that gasoline :).
Go juice helps. I think my mileage is going to get better since I can catch 5th gear faster.. but its not gonna help running 75-80 m.p.h. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I may be wrong, but I don't think cams need breaking in. Hit it!

--

I don't know much about motorcycle motors, so I'm learning lots of stuff from this forum. I plan on adding cams to mine sometime in the future. If someone can explain to me what's the difference in a ford or Chevy cam versus a Harley cam, I'd appreciate it. So my question to you guys is this:

You have to break in a car or truck motor with break-in oil so you don't wipe the lobes off the cam shaft. Run it through a couple of heat cycles, (to harden the surfaces) then change the oil. What makes a motorcycle cams different? Aren't they made out of the same material? I'm not very knowledgable on MC engines. Small block, and big block ford…all day long. So why wouldn't you break in the cams on a Harley the same way?

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I don't know much about motorcycle motors, so I'm learning lots of stuff from this forum. I plan on adding cams to mine sometime in the future. If someone can explain to me what's the difference in a ford or Chevy cam versus a Harley cam, I'd appreciate it. So my question to you guys is this:

You have to break in a car or truck motor with break-in oil so you don't wipe the lobes off the cam shaft. Run it through a couple of heat cycles, (to harden the surfaces) then change the oil. What makes a motorcycle cams different? Aren't they made out of the same material? I'm not very knowledgable on MC engines. Small block, and big block ford…all day long. So why wouldn't you break in the cams on a Harley the same way?

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!
That makes good sense, Ricky. I stand corrected and I'll remember that if I ever get around to camming my King. I just thought the surfaces of the cam lobes were hardened during the manufacturing process and since the lifters have roller followers, I didn't think they would require breaking in like a new engine with rings and bearing shells seating in. Most auto engines I've been inside don't have roller cam bearings, so yes, break-in would be required. Harley cams ride in roller/needle bearings.

--

1 - 20 of 31 Posts