Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding a 07 Ultra, few mods, Bassani true duals, S&S mufflers, Cobra Fi2000 to manage the fuel/air, Big Sucker air intake with K&N filter. Lately I've noticed a "feel" in the floorboards kinda like driving over a rough patch of road maybe or just a little rumble feel, no noise, just a feel. I mentioned it to a buddy of mine who rides an 07 Road King Classic. He said he noticed the same thing on his and started noticing it about the time we tightened our drive belts. I hadn't thought of that but that was about the time I noticed it. I called Sound Harley Davidson in Smokey Point and they said, (after I mentioned that I use Amsoil in all the boxes) that it could be bearings, that Amsoil is known to do that..... hmmm. When I told them about the belt, they said it could be that the belt is dry. I used the Harley belt tension tool to gauge the tension and it was off the ground when I adjusted it. My Amsoil guy, who also rides and works on Harleys, had told me earlier to put the Severe gear 75-140w oil in the tranny, that it would shift better and be quieter but I hadn't done that yet. I know there's a heap of good knowledge here so what do you think?
Sorry this is so long, I have trouble telling a short story....
Bruce

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,506 Posts
I wish I could help you, Bruce, but the best I can do is bump your post. There're oil guys on here, and there are OIL guys on here. Since Dave63 is hibernating, your best bet is Schimdty. Both of them know oil, and drive belts...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wasn't sure what or how to ask. I'm thinking maybe belt from what my friend is experiencing. Just thought I'd give all my info for the folks that know a lot more than me. First Harley and not sure what's normal, or not. Thanks

·
Retired citizen
22,065 Posts
A couple more things that will produce a "feel" in the floorboards is loose top and bottom motor mounts and a missing or misadjusted kickstand snubber.
Also if the bolt for the exhaust crossover pipe under the trans case gets loose or falls out the pipe can contact the frame which would be felt in the floorboards.
I agree with using gear oil in the trans. I use 84/140 when servicing Harleys.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I called Sound Harley Davidson in Smokey Point and they said, (after I mentioned that I use Amsoil in all the boxes) that it could be bearings, that Amsoil is known to do that..... hmmm.
What a load of phewy! Tell them to put it in writing and conduct a UOA!

Agree with Schmidtys recommend. My 2011 FLHTK just had rear wheel bearings and wheel sprocket bearing replaced due to vibration and felt like bike was lugging, fighting itself if that makes sense.

Oh, I run Amsoil 20w-50 engine, SVG 75-110 gear oil tranny and never had any issues in either of my HD's..

And a BTW, my buddy's 2012 Ultra Classic CVO Screamin Eagle engine let go with 16k on it this past Monday near Springfield, MS. They were coming back from Chicago, engine started skipping, pulled into dealer and engine started screeching. Needle bearing assembly in engine disintegrated, lifter seized, wiped out cam. HD ended up overnighting new SE engine, sent team from Milwakee to install it. They made it back to Texas yesterday. And, he has run SE oil in it since new...:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, not going to quit using Amsoil. I thought that was bogus too. I am going to go to the Severe Gear 75W-140 in the tranny. Use the SAE 20W-50 in engine and Primary. I'll check engine mounts and kickstand in the morning and report back. I've got the Bassani system on headers so bolt at top of starter not under frame. What about the belt, dressing? Too tight? Thanks

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
302 Posts
If drive belt is too tight will cause vibration issues also. My 08 Road King was too tight and engine would jump all over the place at idle..
Have never used a belt conditioner and have over 50k between three HD's..

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Amsoil causes bearing failure? Belt is dry? How do these guys keep a job?
In addition to the good common sense already offered, make sure that your exhaust system is not (or can not) touch the frame anywhere. That could cause the feeling you get. Also check the rubber muffler mounts under the saddlebag for wear.

Any one know where I can buy Harley Belt lube? :moonBart

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breeze3at, I agree completely.
Engine mount bolts are fine. Exhaust fine and not touching anywhere. Belt does seem to be plenty tight. Think I'll cut a section from my 36mm socket and make a tool to adjust my belt without removing the muffler and loosen it up a scoach. Doesn't appear to need lube....... good thing cause I'm fresh out...

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
Amsoil causes bearing failure? Belt is dry? How do these guys keep a job?
In addition to the good common sense already offered, make sure that your exhaust system is not (or can not) touch the frame anywhere. That could cause the feeling you get. Also check the rubber muffler mounts under the saddlebag for wear.

Any one know where I can buy Harley Belt lube? :moonBart
+1 on the idiots behind the counter. Dealership advice is all about make an extra buck off their customers. The same knob probably pushed Amsoil to preserve bearing life to the next customer. Service managers need to wake up and realize pissed of bikers will take their business down the street. Nothings better then a high speed indy shop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Triple tree is good. Sad thing is I think it was the service manager I was talking to.... I'm sure they probably have a couple good wrenches there, just didn't get to talk to them. Oh well. Kids came over this weekend and ended up welding on and fixing up their trailer all weekend, hopefully I'll get to my bike tomorrow after work. Thanks for all the replies and help, I'm getting to know my bike better all the time!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my 36mm wrench made by cutting a 1/2" slice off an impact socket and welding a handle on it. Loosened the belt up a bit, tightened everything back up, and checked it over. Nice and smooth! Feel kinda stupid that it was that easy.... and I didn't even have to lube the belt...😆! At least I got a good pre-season check done on my ride!! Thanks again guys for your help, greatly appreciated!

Bruce

1 - 13 of 13 Posts