Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I am from Geneva Switzerland. I ride two Harleys: Softail Deuce 1550ccm carburator year 2000 and Dyna Wide Glide 1700ccm year 2013.
I have been riding 155000 miles on the Deuce since I bought it new in 2000. I had the engin completely redone this spring 2015 and it works again like a charm! Just one little problem. Once in a while, every 80 miles or so the engine stops working without any announcement! I can start it again immediately. Sounds like a electrical problem ... any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem with my softail Deuce 1550ccm carburator

Hello Folks,

I am from Geneva Switzerland. I ride two Harleys: Softail Deuce 1550ccm carburator year 2000 and Dyna Wide Glide 1700ccm year 2013.
I have been riding 155000 miles on the Deuce since I bought it new in 2000. I had the engin completely redone this spring 2015 and it works again like a charm! Just one little problem. Once in a while, every 80 miles or so the engine stops working without any announcement! I can start it again immediately. Sounds like a electrical problem ... any ideas?

·
Banned
181 Posts
I would guess a electronic modual that gets hot.
If it is stock -
I am not at sure what you have but replace one or both . There is one in the timing cover and it is hooked to a bigger box somewhere under there.
Better yet, - just convert to a Twin tech Daytona and have a very tuneable system .
If you ever do up grades you are all set.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
That could be a symptom of a failing CKP sensor. Unplug the sensor and test ohms across the 2 pins, should measure 1000 ohms plus or minus 3% cold.
Time, heat and vibration take a toll on CKP sensors and they slowly get outside of parameters and the ECM then fails to recognize the signal. When that happens the ECM turns the ignition off.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I like your diagnoses better then mine.

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
I would guess a electronic modual that gets hot.
If it is stock -
I am not at sure what you have but replace one or both . There is one in the timing cover and it is hooked to a bigger box somewhere under there.
Better yet, - just convert to a Twin tech Daytona and have a very tuneable system .
If you ever do up grades you are all set.
Both of his bikes are Twin Cams, there is no timing cover.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Yea.I am old fart.......

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hello Folks,

Yea but 80 miles is quite a distance any sensor should have been plenty hot by then, and it starts right back up immediately, sounds like your losing power for spark, while it is running wiggle your igntion switch wires see if that makes it stop running.

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
The CKP is only 1 of many options but the test is simple to eliminate it as the source of the problem. If the CKP doesn't ohm out then it's failing the test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts