Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask. My buddy has a 1999 883 Sportster Custom. He wanted to update his mirrors. He had the stock, old style, long stemmed, square HD mirrors. He got a pair of the newer style, short stemmed oval mirrors. Left side went on in a snap. Undo the bolt, take old mirror off, new mirror on. However, when we got to the right side, the mirror is attached to the right turn signal. OK, no problem. Took off the old mirror, put the new mirror on, and when we tried to tighten it down, it went so far, and then the right turn signal started to turn towards the floor. We tried adjusting the signal on the mount, added washers, etc., but no luck.......it seems like the mirror stem gets so far down into the mount and then pushes on the signal making it turn down to the floor........what could be the problem? It's gotta be something simple, but we just can't seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the weird thing. We held the old and new mirrors up together, and the threaded stem is exactly the same length on both.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
you lost a washer maybe - try one on top of the controls to shorten it up a bit

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right. Gotta be something simple. I'm gonna sleep on it and take a look tomorrow.

·
Registered
39,568 Posts
Did you forget to take part #6 off your old mirror and put it on your new one?

HD00XLH046[1].gif

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have the worst behind vision with short stemmed mirrors. I just lean the bike a bit if still and wiggle in motion. Some bros prefer to turn em upside down I'm also thinkin about something new, Just havn't come up with anything yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts