Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told to use Paint Thinner to help remove some boot marks (and whatever else in melted on the pipes) on the bike that I just got on Friday. With the Paint Thinner & elbow grease, I was able to get most of it ... but a little bit will not come off. I assume that real fine steel wool will probably scratch the chrome !! ?? :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Years ago I fryed the bottom of my toss over bags on the pipe of my 85 FXEF. Old school trick. E-Z Off oven cleaner. DO NOT GET ON ANY PAINT!!! I blocked off the frame with cardboard, get the pipe hot & spray it on let it work then wipe it off. Clean with no scratches. (It will ruin any paint you get it on.) You can take the pipe off the bike if its a slip on or short enough to fit and heat it up in the oven, and spray it off the bike. Good luck. RamRod

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I have used steel wool on chrome. It was the 0000 very fine or super fine. (I think it's four zeros) Use it all the time on my wife's chrome wheels on her truck. Of course I use a very strong wheel cleaner with it, and it does a great job of removing the road grime and brake dust. Make's the wheels look new.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Would just confirm the preceding... oven cleaner after trying a spray cleaner and elbow grease. Have used extremely fine steel wool successfully on chrome exhaust mufflers without any dulling/scratching.

Last... once noted a forum suggestion to use acetone based fingernail polish remover. With the exhaust totally cold to the touch, have seen this work as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts