Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first bike; a 01' sportie 1200, but am having trouble getting it started.

The bike won't turn over, but I have a new battery in it. It will start and run just fine if I jump it with 50 amps, and then starts and runs fine for the rest of the day.

I will let it sit for three days or so and when I come back it won't turn over again and needs to be jumped?

If it were the staitor, then wouldn't it not charge throughout the day as I ride? Any suggestions before I break out the multimeter and blow a few hours/days? I a newbie.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
There are electrical diagnostic tests outlined in a sticky thread in the electrical section of the forum. Chances are you jave a heavy parasitic draw caused by an accessory or die to a short in the system.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Just bought my first bike; a 01' sportie 1200, but am having trouble getting it started.

The bike won't turn over, but I have a new battery in it. It will start and run just fine if I jump it with 50 amps, and then starts and runs fine for the rest of the day.

I will let it sit for three days or so and when I come back it won't turn over again and needs to be jumped?

If it were the staitor, then wouldn't it not charge throughout the day as I ride? Any suggestions before I break out the multimeter and blow a few hours/days? I a newbie.
Sure sounds as if your battery is not holding a charge. Even new out of the box battery, has been known to be bad . Load Test your battery FIRST . :)

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
The bike will run pretty long on a fully charged battery when the charge system isn't working, 60 - 80 miles or so. I suggest testing your charging system because it could ruin that new battery if faulty.
Another thing to check that's typical to Sportys is the battery positive cable where it attaches on the starter. The cables have a tendency to break inside the insulation at the starter stud. You'll need to disconnect the cable from the starter to inspect it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts