Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Army Guy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering changing out my OEM shocks on my 14 RK and adding a pair of Progressive 944 Heavy Duty Ultra Lows. Should drop me a little more than an inch (I'm height challenged). Concerned about the ride. Usually ride 1 up but, when we go long distances it's 2 up. Anyone out there have these shocks? Like them? They are pricey and don't want to toss $700 out the window without talking to someone who has them. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have em on my SG love em but check out phat performance $519 right now,not a bad price.

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
Have em on my SG love em but check out phat performance $519 right now,not a bad price.
Did you pick up the extra inch lower on your SG? Do you ride 2 up? Do they bottom out? I called progressive and they told me I wouldn't be happy. Said they are designed for the look rather than ride.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My 944UTs ride WAY better than stock air shocks. I have a 09 Street glide and it sits about 1/4" lower than stock,the only bikes that will sit 1" lower are road kings and ultras(maybe more) which sit 1" higher than the Street glide from the factory.As far as bottoming out and 2 up riding,anything will bottom if the bump/hole in the road is big enough and I ride 2 up with the wife and the ride is great. I've had them on the bike for about 3 years and feel that the progressives really improved the ride quality.

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
Thanks for the response. The op as am I, are interested in feedback regarding the ultra lows. These are different than the UTs

·
Registered
710 Posts
If the stockers work for you as far as ride quality maybe look into seat modifications if it is only lower the height you are trying to achieve.If its ride and height 1" lower in the seat is a lot,but 2" lower and heavier springs too??? That's a lot less travel-I'm willing to bet you wont be happy with the ultra lows.

·
Old Army Guy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MVious1 and Jaxglide - Appreciate the discussion and will definitely check out phat performance. Thanks for the advice. This is exactly why I decided to join the forum. Will let you know what I decide to do. No issues riding the bike the way it is but would be much more comfortable with another inch.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have them on my 13 Street Glide. Would I buy them again? NO. Not that happy with them over stock.

·
Old Army Guy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
z006 did you buy them for the drop? Any issues with the ride or bottoming? Have been on the Progressive site and see that they have standard and heavy duty. Thanks for the comment.

·
Old Army Guy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
z006 did you buy them for the drop? Any issues with the ride or bottoming? From your comment assume they work ok, just not worth the 500-600 as opposed to stock. That right? Appreciate the comment.

·
Registered
763 Posts
z006 did you buy them for the drop? Any issues with the ride or bottoming? Have been on the Progressive site and see that they have standard and heavy duty. Thanks for the comment.
No drop on mine. I'm just not happy with the 2 up ride, for the price. If you lose an inch of travel, you won't be happy either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought them for my 2012 Streetglide with the Standard springs and they are not at all what I thought they would be. But considering I am only 165 lbs. they are alittle stiff for me riding solo. Not enough difference in riding for the amount of money they cost for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got the Ohlin's from Motorcycle metal with the one inch drop. They are custom fit for your weight and riding style. Also used the Progressive Mono Tubes with one inch drop in the front . My "10 RK rides great.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I got the Ohlin's from Motorcycle metal with the one inch drop. They are custom fit for your weight and riding style. Also used the Progressive Mono Tubes with one inch drop in the front . My "10 RK rides great.
Do you find the mono tubes work well. I have them, haven't installed yet. I put a 21 inch wheel on & want to drop the front end. Is there that much of a difference. I don't want a harsher ride.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The older road king custom was an inch lower from the factory. Mines a 06 and the ride is a little more firm then my buddies 05 classic. Haven't had any trouble with bottoming out 2 up and loaded for camping. I think the street glide shocks are a inch lower also. Might be cheap to find some take offs and try them to see if you like the ride and stance.
Really like your bike by the way. Nice leather. Thinking of doing mine olive drab.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you find the mono tubes work well. I have them, haven't installed yet. I put a 21 inch wheel on & want to drop the front end. Is there that much of a difference. I don't want a harsher ride.
Originally I used Street Glide shocks on the rear and the ride was terrible. The front end seemed to slam hard into bumps. After changing the rear shocks to Ohlins the front end straightened out and the ride improved . Maybe someone can tell us why but I'm more than satisfied with the handling and the ride since putting on the rears.Strange how rear shocks change the front end!

·
Old Army Guy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
phyhowe, Appreciate the comment. Will give the take offs idea a try. Got the seat from Mustang. They did a one off custom for me in distressed brown. Was a little more expensive but looks better than I expected. My painter then matched the bags to the seat and painted the olive drab with a matte clearcoat. I ride and then spray my paint down with a 50-50 mix of water and alcohol and wipe it down. Takes about 15-20 minutes and I'm back to "ready to ride". Sorry, rambling. Had the bike almost a year and still get excited talking about it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's not too bad when riding 1 up. Still hits bumps pretty hard. With wife on, I still can't get it from bottoming out on small holes no matter how hard I set the resistance. Not any better than stock air ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts