Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
watched a few video's on how to do it- my issue is some say reuse the spring collar and some say toss it-doing a 07 street bob
thanx for any help

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
If you mean the nylon spacers, I leave them out. But it all depends on how stiff you want the forks.

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Oh, ya mean the one that goes on top of the spring ?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ill wait till my lift is free and take a picture- from the hd book it looks like a sleeve the spring goes inside of -refered to as a spring collar

one vid the guy said toss it and one vid it was reused

just found a dennis kirk vid and they called it a stock spacer-said scrap it

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
Also if it's the one at the bottom of the fork damper, that must stay in. Looks like an aluminum cup.
If it goes on top of the spring under the fork cap, that's an anti rattle spacer. Measure the length of the stock spring against the Progressive spring, if the springs are different lengths add or subtract from the anti rattle spacer to be equal to the original overall spring / spacer length.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kit comes with 2 pvc tubes -you cut to size and put on top of spring

·
Retired citizen
23,351 Posts
OK, that's what I meant about the stock spring length versus the Progressive length difference. The spacer plus the Progressive spring should equal what the stock setup was. It's just an anti rattle spacer so the spring doesn't knock when the forks fully extend.
If both springs are the same length and there wasn't a spacer in the forks when ya took it apart then you won't need that spacer.
Thing is, when you're screwing the top cap on there should be some tension against the spring. You should have to push down on it to start it into the fork threads. Otherwise the spring is to loose in the fork tube. That's why the spacers are there, to compensate.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
They add preload based on your riding conditions. Ex: Weight, riding style, etc..... The longer you cut it the more preload on the spring.

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
With the 49mm fork tubes, you can get adjustable preload adjusters from various manufacturers to replace the standard fork caps.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saw those before- i have the stock caps powder coated black that im removing and replacing with the la choppers flush caps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spring install.. revisited

Greetings all,
Perhaps I jumped into the middle of a conversation or even burglarized it.. This thread has me pondering.. would it be a no-no to install progressive springs in the shell/housing of stock Harley shocks.. assuming that they can physically fit.. same coil diameter and length..??
I'm thinking, why buy the whole shocks when it's just the springs that need an upgrade.. It might be the difference between series 412 and 430 to my pocketbook..

Thanks for any advice or information on the subject..

'13 Super Glide Custom (FXDC)

watched a few video's on how to do it- my issue is some say reuse the spring collar and some say toss it-doing a 07 street bob
thanx for any help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts