Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which should I go with for a slight upgrade? Planning on going with the Progressive 412 12" on the rear. Just trying to figure out whether the HD spring set with spacers or the mono-tubes would be a better replacement. Kind of leaning toward the spring set. Anyone else out there dealt with this type of issue?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,386 Posts
I have a 2013 flhtk, im a bigger guy and progressive said if rider is over 200 or ride double alot, go with hd springs. I did the hd spring up front and 444hd on the rear. I have a write up of the install. Spring swap was super easy. Monotube swap would be alot more work since you have to tear both forks down completely. If your happy with the stock valving and performance and just want to reduce brake dive, do the springs.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1035425

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I put 12" HD 412's on my WG and it made a tremendous difference , of course I also had the INTIMINATOR'S installed in the front forks with the recommended 20 weight AMSOIL fork oil . It lowered the rear just enough & looks great !

·
Registered
1,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just ordered it all. 412 11.5" HD for the rear, and an HD spring set for the front. The rear will be very easy. the front, I am considering replacing the fork oil at the same time. have less than 10k on it, but it is a Sportster after all. Wish me luck.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,386 Posts
Well, just ordered it all. 412 11.5" HD for the rear, and an HD spring set for the front. The rear will be very easy. the front, I am considering replacing the fork oil at the same time. have less than 10k on it, but it is a Sportster after all. Wish me luck.
With a sporty, you should be able to just lift the bike and swap out front and rear. May have to take barsboff to do fronts but shouldnt have to drop forks out like i did. Good luck on the install.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a sporty, you should be able to just lift the bike and swap out front and rear. May have to take barsboff to do fronts but shouldnt have to drop forks out like i did. Good luck on the install.
That is what I am betting on for the front. Ordered the manual today as well. So once I have it all, I will give it a shot.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,386 Posts
That is what I am betting on for the front. Ordered the manual today as well. So once I have it all, I will give it a shot.
You should just have a fork cap on top to unscrew and the springs will pop out. Be careful as the springs are preloaded and will fling the cap off if your not real careful. Also you should have a drain at the bottom of the fork to drain oil. If not you can just lift the bike upside down with a winch from a tree or something and drain them that way... lol.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my new suspension today. The fork springs came with a 3" spacer. Instructions say to cut it to 2.25" for my bike as part of the installation. I am thinking if I don't cut it, that would give me 0.75" of pre-load. Sound about right to everyone else?

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,386 Posts
Got my new suspension today. The fork springs came with a 3" spacer. Instructions say to cut it to 2.25" for my bike as part of the installation. I am thinking if I don't cut it, that would give me 0.75" of pre-load. Sound about right to everyone else?
The 2.25 space is gonna give you preload and maintain your stock ride height. If you go withh all 3", your gonna raise the bike .75". I have the same kit in my ultra and with the 3/4" space i think is what it said to use to maintain stock height, i had to preload the springs about 1.5" to get the shock cap on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put the new rear shocks on on the 4th. Didn't get out to seat the bushings yet. But sat on it and felt a big difference. OL climbed on and it only sank another 3/4". I am thinking this will be great. Going to get it out this weekend and get them settled in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts