Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations to replace the rear shocks on my 08 SG, I would like a smoother ride and if it raises the seat height a little that would be ok. Thanks

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I had Progressive 412's on my last two bikes. I replaced the 412's on my 2009 Dyna Super Glide for Progressive 444's. They are a noticeable improvement in both handling and ride comfort.

As much as I liked the 412's, the 444's are well worth the additional cost. I never imagined that changing rear shocks could make my Dyna so much more comfortable to ride. They come with a lifetime warranty too.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1423/444-series-shocks

Progressive Suspension 444-4059B 444 Series Shocks for Harley-Davidson Models

Looking for recommendations to replace the rear shocks on my 08 SG, I would like a smoother ride and if it raises the seat height a little that would be ok. Thanks

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Do you have a certain budget??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shocks

Works Performance makes some of the best shocks available. Also Race tech makes awesome shocks . These are high end shocks,but suspension is every bit as important as the pipes we install and air cleaners we pay far too much for. I have works shocks on my Dyna and that bike rides like a million bucks .

·
Registered
282 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Street Glide Specials come with progressive shocks. Is this true? i have 2014 Street Glide Special.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the stock ones are 12 inch if I am correct, can I replace them with a 13 inch touring length from Harley and if so will it raise the rear 1 inch so it will be at touring height?

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Although the shocks mentioned are great shocks. Make sure you are making decisions based on bikes like yours. is your bike a Super Glide or a Street Glide?

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

Do you have a certain budget??

I think the stock ones are 12 inch if I am correct, can I replace them with a 13 inch touring length from Harley and if so will it raise the rear 1 inch so it will be at touring height?

I believe that's correct. If you have the means, I would steer you towards Legends Air Suspension. I love mine, it rides fantastically.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Keep in mind that when you add taller rear shocks that you slightly change the fork angle and that steering will be more responsive. The rear shocks on my Dyna are 1/2" longer than stock and I could feel the difference in steering with that small change in fork angle.

Adding 1/2" to the rear shocks is no big deal in terms of steering geometry. An inch would not bother most riders either. If you think that you are just sitting too close to the ground, you can either go to a taller seat. [The Harley Sundowner seat on my Dyna is around 1 1/2" higher than the stock seat that came with the bike.] You could always take your current seat to one of the shops that customizes seats, like Mean City Cycles, and have them add some height to it. The outcome is that you would have a taller and more comfortable seat.

There is a point where you are wasting money on shocks. Racing shocks are designed to tolerate high-speed track conditions and dissipate heat. That can be a lot of overkill on a Harley Davidson street bike. Once you get past the capabilities of shocks like the Progressive 444, it is just hard to justify the addition expense. Besides that, high-performance racing-style shocks are not known for their comfortable rides.

Keep in mind, once you have the right shocks and springs set up perfectly for you, the whole equation gets tossed when you add a passenger or even a lot of luggage.

A rider that I know who spent an arm and a leg on new shocks told me that the manufacturer precisely tuned the shocks and springs for him. I asked him how they could tune a shock and springs that was perfect for him riding one-up and perform equally well when he and his wife were both on the bike. You can't have it both ways.

While you are dealing with your suspension, don't forget the front end. I recently added Ricor valves and Traxxion single rate springs to my Dyna and the difference in how the bike rides and handles is profound. By replacing the stock fork caps with adjustable caps, I can now tune the preload for the front forks. The parts were in the $300 - $350 range and it only took about an hour to swap out the springs and add the valves. You have no idea what a properly dampened front end is like until you get one.

Pete

·
2,327 Posts
I have the 430's on my Ultra and love them. I've heard great reviews on the Legends. But the biggest change was adding the Progressive monotubes to the front. Outstanding control in the corners and bumps.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I went from 12" to 13" stock air shocks on my 13 Road Glide and there was an amazing difference in the ride. Different animal but just saying. I'm looking at Progressives
when the budget allows. (2017?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts