Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much like many riders before me, as soon as I got my first bike home I started window shopping for ideas and parts. Of course window shopping lead to spending 2k rather easily....

I rejoice today because most the parts I ordered are in!! So my 2014 Forty Eight is sitting in my garage (away from the T-storm outside) awaiting her improvements!! I'll post before, during, and after pictures...but this is a longterm project soo I will keep this thread updated as Citation is updated (Citation being the name I gave my bike).
Parts that are going on today:
- RSD Nostalgia A/C (black Ops)
- RSD Boss 2up
Annnnd...I got a V&H Fuelpak, but that isn't really an install to see I guess.

Wish my exhaust (D&D Bobcat) was here too...but it's back-ordered, so of course pictures & vids when that comes in!

I know you guys like to see picture, especially progress through projects! Hope you guys enjoy watching at least half as much as I'll enjoy doing it....giggity.

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
O boy, another sportster trying to be a big bike. :D Bring on the pics, let's see the change. Enjoy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
O boy, another sportster trying to be a big bike. :D Bring on the pics, let's see the change. Enjoy.
Occasionally, I have felt a little intimidated by the Big Twin crowd...

Then I remember: "Oh yeah, I've got 1200 cc's...
and I'm way faster than you." :)

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Occasionally, I have felt a little intimidated by the Big Twin crowd...

Then I remember: "Oh yeah, I've got 1200 cc's...
and I'm way faster than you." :)
No you're not. Stroker has 1800. RGC has 1584. You can't beat either one. There's more but why bother. Unless you want to ride to Florida. O yeah that sportster will beat you up getting here. :p It's all in good fun. Enjoy your bike. (Where do you hide the pull rope) :D

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Much like many riders before me, as soon as I got my first bike home I started window shopping for ideas and parts. Of course window shopping lead to spending 2k rather easily....

I rejoice today because most the parts I ordered are in!! So my 2014 Forty Eight is sitting in my garage (away from the T-storm outside) awaiting her improvements!! I'll post before, during, and after pictures...but this is a longterm project soo I will keep this thread updated as Citation is updated (Citation being the name I gave my bike).
Parts that are going on today:
- RSD Nostalgia A/C (black Ops)
- RSD Boss 2up
Annnnd...I got a V&H Fuelpak, but that isn't really an install to see I guess.

Wish my exhaust (D&D Bobcat) was here too...but it's back-ordered, so of course pictures & vids when that comes in!

I know you guys like to see picture, especially progress through projects! Hope you guys enjoy watching at least half as much as I'll enjoy doing it....giggity.
Don't take offence of these geezer-glide riders they all probably started out on Sportster's ! :laugh

·
Registered
308 Posts
No you're not. Stroker has 1800. RGC has 1584. You can't beat either one. There's more but why bother. Unless you want to ride to Florida. O yeah that sportster will beat you up getting here. :p It's all in good fun. Enjoy your bike. (Where do you hide the pull rope) :D
Best strap an extra rocket on that La-Z-Boy. :mooning:

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
I think sportsters are awesome little rides, however Fat Bob will out corner and just flat out run one.

Still, I want an iron with an 88 kit to toodle around on. I look forward to seeing how the project goes and how many "citations" you collect in the process. :eek:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think sportsters are awesome little rides, however Fat Bob will out corner and just flat out run one.
This is so, stock.

However the $ to performance ratio is much better on the Sportster.
:cheers

Errr, at least it used to be... you know, when they were <$12K/ea.... Probably not so much anymore.

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
Best strap an extra rocket on that La-Z-Boy. :mooning:
Haven't had a sportster beat any of my bikes. If you got a rocket, you use it. Not into strap ons.:cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Befores

Welp here's a few simple before photos! Went on and took her in for her 1k today, I'll have 'er back in the a.m. and will get on posting the afters!!

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Dude,
That a bad ass bike, while I still have a touring bike still in the garage, the next one I want is a "48"

2007 ElectraGlide
65,000 miles and counting!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah because you can't customize a sporty. You can only customize a big twin so when you customize a sporty you are just copying a big twin bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The jokes and shenanigans are all in good fun, but I was a little confused on how i am "trying to make my sporty a wannabe big bike".
Perhaps if I was making it a "bagster"...but hell no. To each his own, but that sort of thing aint my bag baby. ....see what I did there? An Austin Powers reference and a pun all in one.

bwahah. Anyways, This is a much larger project than the small amount of parts that I just put on. Can't wait to look back here a year later and see all the progress!

·
Just Ride
3,614 Posts
What you planning for exhaust? Black drags is my vote. Keep us posted. By the way here's a pic of my stroker. I get nice sportster from those who know no better. I reply with it eats sportsters for lunch. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What you planning for exhaust? Black drags is my vote. Keep us posted. By the way here's a pic of my stroker. I get nice sportster from those who know no better. I reply with it eats sportsters for lunch. :)
Nice!
I'm going with a black 2:1, The D&D Bobcat.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
New seat and A/C

Here's a few after I got the seat and A/C on.

It sounds lot different IMO. I mean, I say a lot but it's not a HUGE change like new exhaust would give...but it's a very noticeable difference. It has a lower rumble and instead of purring, she has a nice little growl! I wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference, it's a lot "throatier", with a nice grumble on roll-off and downshift.

I'm gonna do some auto-tuning with my Fuelpak i guess, since there's not any maps for just a new A/C in the software...even though the Roland Sands and HD both recommend tuning after this upgrade.
I'll let you know how she rides after that. I can feel a SMALL power increase, but it does indeed feel like it needs a tune. I'm completely new to scoots, but even I can tell it needs a tweak,

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So a quick update. For anyone else in the future that may have this situation, I just picked the "Python: Sportster Slip-on's"option. I figured the stock exhaust is close enough to this, and then the picture it showed look identical to the stock pipes. It did work, I ended up riding her home without the tune, so after I remapped it using that set up it did run better. Sounds waaaay different after the new A/C and tune. Waaay better, a lot deeper. Still feels like it could use some tweaking, I was going to auto-tune it today since I was on the bike all day... But I wanted to see how the canned map felt for about a full tank first. I will Auto-Tune this weekend some time and give an update.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New news

Soo here's what's new: Auto-tune with the Fuelpak worked great. I originally decided I'd just stick with the first auto-tune since my exhaust should be here soon enough. WELLLLL... talked to D&D today (3weeks after I put in my order) and was given the bad news that they will be backordered for ANOTHER 3-4 weeks. Maybe I'll have those pipes by Xmas :mad. So I will most likely be finer tuning with some more auto-tune runs.

I got 2 of 3 small cosmetic parts in at HD..they have no idea where the gas cap is, why its not there, and when it will be...all he could say is "the little yella triangle means it aint here yet." Genius...
But I did get the new license plate bolts (HD Skulls) and my smoked front signal lenses on the bike.

Ordered my Saddle bags from La Rosa, tracking says they will be here monday.

Ordered my chopped fender led tail/brake light, should be here by monday as well.

Hopefully my flush mount cap is here by then too....then just waiting on those sweet sweet pipes.

Any-who, I'll have pictures of all of these updates on here by monday night if all goes well :thumbsup

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
mod list

Roland Sands Design - Venturi Nostalgia A/C $429.99

Vance & Hines - FP3 Fuelpak $389.99

Harley-Davidson - Chopped Fender Edge LED Light Kit $99.95

Harley-Davidson - Bullet Turn Signal lens kit (smoke) $24.95

La Rosa Design - Left side & Right side saddle bags, La Fondina (black/blue tread) $379.98

Roland Sands Design - Boss 2up seat $439.99

Harley-Davidson - Flush Mount Fuel Cap (Black) $79.95

Harley-Davidson - Skull License Plate Mounting Hardware $27.95

$1872.75...ouch. Plus $963 when ever my exhaust ships..$2835.75.
I do believe I am done buying parts for a while lmao. Maybe I'll treat myself to some more goodies when tax season rolls around haha

Saddle bags just got here as I am typing this, so after I throw them on, I'll take some pictures of the bike.

Future mods include a performance upgrade of some kind (I'm thinking new cams)
Maybe a sweet paint job for my tank
Black, custom engraved derby, timing, and inspection covers
HD's Black Daymaker LED headlamp + a black trim ring
HD's sportster front spoiler
Black rockerbox covers
Some snazzy pegs, pax pegs, grips, shifter, etc.
A handful of cosmetic stuff mainly.

Needless to say, she's coming along nicely. My pockets are hurtin' but I am enjoying every little part of it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts