Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has begun - I finally decided on a plan of action to get a few bits and pieces together that can resemble and be called a bike:D

I have decided to strip my worn out customised old 97 FLSTS and give it a revamp.
I have a 95" TC motor I built up to go in there, marry up to the flawless 6 speed thats been in there fro the past 9 years.
A TC softail swingarm - so I can fit a 200 tire with ease, new chromed shocks with adjustable lowering kit.
I will rebuild the front end too, that I converted to 19" with twin disc.

The frame needs new paint - I am thinkiong some kind of silver metallic, to compliment alll the chrome and polish - since it needs a bit of tweaking to sjoehorn the motor in. Needed to massage a little off the frame motor mounts to get the cases in, and the front left downtube interferes with the rocker cover.

I am still looking for a set of TC (RK or Dyna) cases to build another motor, for which I have a frame, tranny, primary etc.

Heres a liitle look...:eek:

Attachments

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
man that is a great lookin bike! did you shave that rear fender down a little?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut the original frame rear fender struts off right at the seat area where the swingarm top ends. Made up some struts oyt of flat stell bar which was then chromed. The fender is a one off, out of fibreglass, and fits 180,190,200 tire.

I want to stay with chrome and polished to compliment the very heavy and very visible Springer front end.

Attachments

·
COB
1,984 Posts
If that springer has any age to it you probably want to put new bushings in all around. They can start to handle funny when they get worn but you probably know that.

I love springers. I really wanted to put on on the YamaBobber but my plan was to build that bike for under $2k and I would not be able to if I went with the springer.

Maybe now that I have the new bike I will go that direction.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tha Yam is a very light bike - I think although springers are so cool, I love em too, it would be a bit heavy, also in looks, for the nice lines of your bobber.:)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Tha Yam is a very light bike - I think although springers are so cool, I love em too, it would be a bit heavy, also in looks, for the nice lines of your bobber.:)
Not so!

·
COB
1,984 Posts
A springer looks very good, but there must be a functional reason for the design. Would anyone be willing to explain?
Sure, before shock absorbers there were springs. Hydraulic damping came to be on motorcycles later the use of springs. Rigid frames with springs on the seat and springer front ends were state of the art at one time.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
Another example of old time front suspension resurrected because of the unique looks is the girder front end.

Notice the springer is more complicated, intricate, having articulation at the bottom end.

Attachments

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
They're chosen for their artistic merit, not practical use.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Springers are a preference to some guys, IMHO. They're not as comfortable as a hydraulic front ends, nor do they perform the same, but some folks love them. They also wear at the pivoting points where the bushings are, making them sloppy, over time. (Not so much the newer ones, anymore.) Most people use them for their styling characteristics, as they either add a lot of chrome to a bike, and give it a nostalgic look, despite being heavier than telescopic/hydraulic front forks.

I love the way they look.

If you look at Nathang's pics, Picture 1 (left to right) is a leading link type springer, BUT picture 2 and 3 are Girder front forks, as Nathang stated. They're a similar design, but not true "springers", as the down arms don't articulate, but remain fixed. Note that all 3 pic below of these pivot with a forward mounted link, with a scissors type action of the down arms to actuate the springs above. They come with and without shocks.

Springers with shocks:

Old style leaf spring, springer:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,503 Posts
I really wasn't being diplomatic.
IMHO, many aspects of motorcycling are chosen for the esthetic appeal.
Certainly the custom bike world.
The Smithonian has, or once had a chopper exhibition, as I understand the exhibition was described as functional modern metal sculpture.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts