1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hell yeah!

·
Banned
612 Posts
The majority of people feel this way and yet the politicians run free...pay attention when you vote and we the people WILL have our country and the American Way back in our hands...:thumbsup

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,004 Posts
Great stuff!

·
Street
90 Posts
Right on point lady. Politicians need a crisis and a dependent society to stay in office. The more you need them the more rights they take away from you. Thrir goal is a dependent bunch of sheep looking for help from the govt.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
The majority of people feel this way and yet the politicians run free...pay attention when you vote and we the people WILL have our country and the American Way back in our hands...:thumbsup

Unfortunately they don't. The majority of the people are so apathetic, and hence so ignorant about politics, that shouldn't be allowed to vote.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately they don't. The majority of the people are so apathetic, and hence so ignorant about politics, that shouldn't be allowed to vote.
Amen brother! Some day when I am in charge you will have to pass a basic intelligence test before you are allowed to:

1.) Vote
2.) Sit on a jury
3.) Bring children into this world

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Amen brother! Some day when I am in charge you will have to pass a basic intelligence test before you are allowed to:

1.) Vote
2.) Sit on a jury
3.) Bring children into this world
Odd that the OP of a thread entitled "Protecting the Constitution" would advocate denying a citizen their Constitutional rights. :eek:uttahere: :)

That said, it isn't about intelligence. Ignorance? Perhaps for some. But you should note that there are MILLIONS of very well educated, extremely intelligent people out there forming, perpetuating and supporting the liberal agenda - an elitist, self-righteous group of of post-modern thinkers with a god complex who are certain that they know more about what is good for us than we do.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Odd that the OP of a thread entitled "Protecting the Constitution" would advocate denying a citizen their Constitutional rights. :eek:uttahere: :)

That said, it isn't about intelligence. Ignorance? Perhaps for some. But you should note that there are MILLIONS of very well educated, extremely intelligent people out there forming, perpetuating and supporting the liberal agenda - an elitist, self-righteous group of of post-modern thinkers with a god complex who are certain that they know more about what is good for us than we do.
Chasarms, my intent would not be to wholesale deny anyone's rights. However, as important as the three issues I mentioned are, I believe there should be some "qualification" in order to exercise those rights for the good of all. And although I am not of a liberal mindset I recognize those that are have that right. So, look at is this way. There are individuals who, for many different reasons, are not able to manage their own affairs. If they do not have a named POA the court will step in and put them under "Guardianship" An individual under Guardianship no longer has any civil rights because they can't manage. I don't know if Guardianship status revokes any of their constitutional rights, but if someone is not in their right mind and can not function on their own, do you think they should be able to vote or sit on a jury? So, lets qualify some things. Not overly so, but some real basic chit. I wouldn't want an unqualified police officer around me any more than I would want an idiot on the jury if I was on trial.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Chasarms, my intent would not be to wholesale deny anyone's rights. However, as important as the three issues I mentioned are, I believe there should be some "qualification" in order to exercise those rights for the good of all. And although I am not of a liberal mindset I recognize those that are have that right. So, look at is this way. There are individuals who, for many different reasons, are not able to manage their own affairs. If they do not have a named POA the court will step in and put them under "Guardianship" An individual under Guardianship no longer has any civil rights because they can't manage. I don't know if Guardianship status revokes any of their constitutional rights, but if someone is not in their right mind and can not function on their own, do you think they should be able to vote or sit on a jury? So, lets qualify some things. Not overly so, but some real basic chit. I wouldn't want an unqualified police officer around me any more than I would want an idiot on the jury if I was on trial.
Surely you understand the slippery slope of such a proposal?

What you are suggesting is that you allow lawmakers to determine the qualifications and eligibility of those capable and able to choose the lawmakers. You would be allowing the lawmakers to pick their own bosses.

While you or I can obviously see the point of your argument, it stands to reason that anyone who had or was pursuing political power for their own gain could and would manipulate the qualifications which determine those "not able to manage their own affairs" in order to disqualify the voting rights of those who might oppose them.

The jury selection process is in place to protect both sides in a trial.

As for having children, regulating that in any way is the scariest proposition I can imagine. Apart from the semblance to communist China, it makes my concerns voiced in point one pale in comparison. Not only could the powers that be deny a group voting rights, but by denying them the ability to procreate, they could effectively eliminate their own opposition over time by allowing children to be raised only in households that teach their world point of view.

I think our founding fathers understood the pitfalls before this country even started. I certainly do not want to open a can of worms. I suggest only that they understood clearly that the Constitution could never exist as the highest authority - that man would need personal guidance and internal conviction in order to uphold the convictions presented in the Constitution.

John Adams: "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

James Madison: "We have staked the future of American civilization upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

Thomas Jefferson: "Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?"

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chasarms, you have a valid point with regard to potentially slippery slopes. Having said that, I still dream of certain "improvements" I wish could be made.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Chasarms, you have a valid point with regard to potentially slippery slopes. Having said that, I still dream of certain "improvements" I wish could be made.
I don't think it is possible for me to agree with you more that improvements are needed. But, it is my conviction that those improvements must be self-made in the hearts and minds of the American people. They cannot be mandated.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Here are a number of questions that are the test for US Citizenship.

USCIS - Naturalization Self Test

You really should be required to be able to pass them to vote. And yes it is a slippery slope. But we have nationwide free education for a reason.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are a number of questions that are the test for US Citizenship.

USCIS - Naturalization Self Test

You really should be required to be able to pass them to vote. And yes it is a slippery slope. But we have nationwide free education for a reason.
Very interesting questions. So, citizens of legal age can vote carte blanche. But if you are not already a citizen you must pass a test to become a citizen. Interesting.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
I think our founding fathers understood the pitfalls before this country even started.
They most certainly did, but later amendments damaged or outright destroyed many of the checks they put in place. Senators were originally appointed by state legislatures, their job was to represent the interests of the state at the national level, not the citizens of that state. Direct election of senators destroyed this relationship.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the original requirement that only property owners could vote was based neither in racism nor sexism. That requirement was there because someone who owns something is going to be resistant to the government coming and taking it away, whereas someone who owns nothing is all in favor of government expansion, to take from the haves and give it to him. If only property owners have a vote, an expansionist government is going to face an uphill battle every time, but not so today.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts