Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am Dan. I'm 22 and just bought my first bike, finally! I have always wanted one, and finally, I got mine. I am extremely excited. I'm an auto mechanic, and know my way around cars very well, but I am totally new to motorcycles.

I just bought an '09 Sporty XL883L. It only has 470 miles on it. It's immaculate, and just beautiful. It's perfect for me, as a beginner.

It's a great addition to my collection of vehicles. I have a '69 GTO, '86 F150, '71 M35A2, and an '02 Caravan for daily use.

I have yet to attain my motorcycle license. I need to take a safety course and all that good stuff. I have driven it around my neighborhood some. Overall, it comes pretty natural to me, but still some of it feels foreign, like slow speed turning. But, working the clutch and shifting came very easy to me. I know most of the mechanics of it from driving cars, riding dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, so I have a good starting point.

It has the standard mid controls, which feel really weird. I got a cramp in my hip the first time I rode it, LOL. And I kind of slide down in the seat. I'm 5'10 185lbs. I am thinking I will be much more comfortable with forward controls.

Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself to the community. I welcome any suggestions and advice! Thank you!

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
From Salt Lake City - :welcome

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Welcome to the Forum !
Keep the mid-controls & just install a set of High-Way Bars , that way you have a choice of shifting points . Shift normally with the mid's and/or shift from the highway bars using the back of your foot (boot) ankle . Works like a charm .
Sometimes on a long ride you can stand-up on the mids & stretch plus you can move around more to change positions while ridding .
Oh , and one more thing , in an emergency situation you can control your bike better with mid-controls !
Just saying , always better to have options !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

You know, THE ROAD, I was riding the bike around the neighborhood today, and I am already kind of used to the mid controls. I think the forwards would be more comfortable, but for now, the mids are OK, plus it is nice to have my feet close to the ground, like you said, especially as a beginner. I will look into the highway bars. That's a good idea. I hadn't heard of those.

I must change the exhaust, of course, LOL. It is so quiet with the stockers. I almost can't hear the exhaust over the wind at higher speeds. It's EFI, so if I do a full system I will need the O2 bungs, but I can't afford all that right now anyway. I took off the mufflers altogether just to see how it is. It sounds much better, but, I know, I can't and won't leave it like that. I am thinking of hollowing out the stockers or getting affordable slip on's. Then, down the road, an air cleaner and tune.

First things first, I need a license, insurance, registration, tags, and a DOT helmet. Lots to do!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. Hopefully, you can can take the Rider's Edge Course soon.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Welcome from VA

·
Registered
693 Posts
Congratulations! Awesome!

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great people & info on here!!! Enjoy your new ride!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Plenty of good folks and good information here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts