Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Adding this here as suggested by Kainam.

I put Viking bags on my last bike and when at first they didn't fit (blinkers were in the way) I contacted customer service. No phone number, mind you - you have to email. Strike #1. Strikes 2 and 3 happened over the course of the following week. Worst. Customer. Service. Ever. Thinking about the extra $100 brackets they convinced me to buy that didn't fix the problem and they wouldn't take back after the fact still pisses me off. Stay away from those scam artists. Oh, and the bags were extremely low quality too (want locking bags? each bag will need its own key - that'll be handy).
That's a bag full of awesome right there!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just put a pair on my Sportster bases on good reviews. I was misled. The are smaller than I expected and difficult to mount. I first tried to use them as throw overs but they did not work with standard brackets. The provided mounts are awful. They are poorly designed, poor quality, and the hardware is useless. None of the supplied bolts fit, were all half inch too short and metric. You have to figure out were you want them and drills holes for the mounts. It wouldn't be hard to design a better system, everyone else has. Once on they look ok and seem to be sturdy. The difficulty is using them. The opening is very small and the large rigid top has to be pushed against the bike to open. Plus the front and back have Velcro that needs to be pried loose while opening the bags so you need 3 hands plus a hand to hold you gear and stuff it in the tiny opening. I taped over most of the Velcro. I may modify them in the future. On another sportster I had the factory teardrop bags that I thought were small and ugly. These look better but actually have less useable space than the Harley teardrops. For $250 plus shipping they aren't bad. Of you get them be prepared to get longer bolts. I really recommend spending more money and getting better mounts and better designed bags. If they stand up they will be worth the cheap price but I would not buy them again.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I bought a cheap set of bags a week ago on Sunday on Amazon. I am not willing to invest a lot of money because I don't intend on keeping the bike long term. I selected a set of Nomad (man made leather) bags. I know, I get what I pay for and didn't expect much. The bags came in three days (Wednesday) and they are decent for what they are. Looked at the parts list and the mounting brackets and hardware are missing. Pulled the packing slip off the box and the shipper was Viking Bags. (WTF) I had already read this thread and ordered accordingly. I went on their website and there was a chat option so I talked to a rep on the site. He took my order # and asked what bike these were going on. He apologized for the inconvenience and would ship the missing items out that day. (Took about 10 minutes). I figured in a week I would buy brackets and just bite the bullet as I will probably never see the items. Saturday afternoon a box came with all the missing items. :eek Less than a week and I had everything. The bags are actually better than I had expected and the service was also. We will see how long the bags will last.

I am not endorsing Viking, I think I just got lucky.

·
Lost in Space
6,851 Posts
I got a set of their bags for Morticia a year or so ago. They still look good, even after the storm on the way home from VA.

·
Lost in Space
6,851 Posts
They were a hard sided leather. Can't really see them in this pic to well but it's the best I could find. Used some ez brackets to mount.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
They were a hard sided leather. Can't really see them in this pic to well but it's the best I could find. Used some ez brackets to mount.
I looked in your garage. :D
You should look there, you have 3 pictures. Hi Jen.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hats off to the Moderators on the catch. I hate a company that would stup that low and not only go on a site and talk up there company but then go to the low of taking bad about other companies. :cowdung on a company that would do that. I will never use them even if they straighten up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Viking bags not that easy to install

Before everyone gets I me I brought Viking Bags before all the hoopla over their posting. I bought bags for 2014 XL883L along with included permanent install hardware. Bottom line bolts are too too short. Call Viking rep say I don't understand that is one of our best lines the bolts should fit. No way in hell I say. Rep says this never happens but I will give you $15 credit for new bolts. I say if this never happens how come you know the credit is $15. Now I ha to chase down new bolts. I would send back but this is on my wife bike and she picked them out so you get the picture.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Maybe they had a new worker in the packing/ship department? If it was my company, I'd send out a new bag of hardware, and a credit.

·
1,072 Posts
Well I installed a set that we bought for my daughter this past Christmas for her Sportster 1200 Low. I too had issues with the front bolts being too short. I picked some up at the hardware store so although frustrating, I didn't let it get me down. The fact that the weather here sucked big time helped since I was in no hurry.
The small bolts for the bottom support could stand to be 1/4 inch longer too but I think I got enough thread going to be ok there.
I didn't see that fact that they offered a free rear signal relocation kit (black or chrome for 9.99 more) until after I went to install and realized the signals needed to be moved...that was my fault for not thinking the installation through before ordering, but when I contacted them it was going to be a charge now for the free one for shipping I assume since it wasn't going to ship out with bags.
Having said all that, I think the bags look great on the bike, my daughter loves them and each lock on the top is keyed the same and included 3 keys so maybe that has changed.
These are the bags I got her:
Harley Sportster 1200 Low Motorcycle Saddlebags Specific Hard Leather

·
Registered
456 Posts
Viking bags and XL883L

I put Viking Bags in my wife's XL883L. The bolts that Viking sent did not fit...too short. I needed new bolts and NOTE the front bolt and the rear bolt ate NOT the same length. Easy install when the bolts are right.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts