Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled my '09 Night Train up with regular gas from almost empty. Will this hurt the engine? After I realized it, I rode for about 50 miles and didn't notice anything out of the norm. I then topped it off with premium.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,463 Posts
Probably didn't do any damage for such a short run. If you didn't experience any pinging, you weren't hammering down on the throttle and probably are OK.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
Unless you went to the track or fired it up on a dyno......... Nadda!

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
If you get on it and it doesn't ping or knock, you're fine.

If it does, be easy on it till you can get more premium in the tank.

I've been in situations where 87 was all that was available.... had to baby it till I could get some 91 in there.

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
Also worth noting is that your bike has 9.2:1 compression ratio, same as an 883 Hugger.

883 Hugger manual says to use 87 octane, your manual says to use 91 octane....
go figure.... why the difference? :what?

·
Asylum Inmate
11,741 Posts
Also worth noting is that your bike has 9.2:1 compression ratio, same as an 883 Hugger.

883 Hugger manual says to use 87 octane, your manual says to use 91 octane....

go figure.... why the difference? :what?

All stock Harley's will run on 87.......

And because the fuel injection systems has a knock sensor (ion sensor using the spark plug gap) they will adjust the timing and do well on 85.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...thanks guys!

Makes me not feel so bad. Haven't noticed any pinging, but will go back to 91 as soon as I can.

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you are worried about it add some octane booster. I always add some to the tank of fuel that has been sitting all winter. It could be my imagination but the bike always seems to run better with some rather than the tank of stale gas.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are worried about it add some octane booster. I always add some to the tank of fuel that has been sitting all winter. It could be my imagination but the bike always seems to run better with some rather than the tank of stale gas.
That sounds like a good idea. Might just try that.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
. . . or swap it out . . . ?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good info. Done this myself and although I didn't notice difference, I was always curious what could happen.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've used regular on occasion...no problems to report.

·
Road Junkie
1,915 Posts
It's a lot better than diesel
Had a friend due that in his Honda Rune while we were on some backroads. I still give him grief for it (and for buying a Honda).

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I've had no choice a time or two to fill up on reg, I just make sure I don't get on it till I can get a tank of premium, never had a problem.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I rode for about 70 miles yesterday, and didn't have a bit of problem. But I didn't goose it much either.

·
Registered
39,492 Posts
If there was going to be a problem, you would have noticed it pulling out from a stop.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts