Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on I-81 about 7 miles north of Harrisonburg, VA when the flashing lights came on behind me from an unmarked silver Crown Vic.

After shutting off the bike and dismounting, I was complimented for doing so correctly, on the right side of the motorcycle, by a salty old cop with a thick Jersey accent. "Thank God, a Paisan!" I thought. At least I stand a small chance of getting away without a ticket, since he did have me dead to rights for speeding.

He then asked me why, if I knew how to get off a bike correctly, I didn't realize that 15 over was idiotic, especially when he had to pull over to let me by after seeing me in his rear view mirror. When I realized that I had actually passed him (forcing him over from the left lane while doing so) I thought my chances of getting away dropped to zero.

I still have a Jersey license, which he ran through the system and learned that I have 3 points from previous moving violations. Things were not looking too good for me - until he revealed that he was a previous Motor Cop from Newark (I still have a NJ driver's license despite relocating to Virginia two years ago - long story) so after a long lecture on safety and a warning about the number of patrols out that day on I-81 looking for speeders, he let me go with a warning.

I attribute my good fortune to the following:

1. He was a Motor Cop and still had a soft spot for Harleys
  2. I was courteous and respectful and, when appropriate, contrite
  3. As noted previously, I dismounted the way I had been taught from watching those Jerry "Motorman" Palladino video series of bike training lessons which as he stated correlated directly with his police training
  4. It was bitterly cold, and because of my NJ driver's license, the cop thought I had ridden all the way from Ocean County NJ (approximately 300 miles away) instead of Winchester VA (about 60 miles up the road)
  5. When he told me he was retired from Newark PD, I told him he looked good for his age and "I never would have guessed...."
  6. I was wearing a full helmet, leather jacket and gauntlets, over-the-ankle leather boots, and all my safety equipment was fully funtioning

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
thanks for sharing all of that. Glad it worked out well.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Good deal. Lying is the quickest way to a ticket.

I have had more than 1 State Trooper tell me "if you don't lie, when I ask Do you know why I pulled you over......more than likely I will not write up a ticket"

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
More proof that it pays to be respectful, polite, and sometimes contrite--especially when you are clearly in the wrong. I like it when they ask me how long it has been since I got a ticket and I respond "1982".

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Good deal. Lying is the quickest way to a ticket.

I have had more than 1 State Trooper tell me "if you don't lie, when I ask Do you know why I pulled you over......more than likely I will not write up a ticket"
+1 I've found if you address the officer in a respectful manner and tell en the truth for the most part, they won't write you. Look at it this way with all the time they put in dealing with speeders and such, do you really think your gonna come up with something creative that hasn't been said before. Be straight, don't waste his/her time, and sometimes you'll be surprised.

Glad ya got off, the one time I did get popped on the bike, he let me go... and I was wrong.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
While being polite and not trying BS the officer is IMOP best way to go. There is a chance he may have just left a nasty wreck before pulling you over. Then again being pulled over by USAF Military Police on highway out side of main gate while still on base property 9 out of 10 times will get you a ticket. No matter how much a$$ kissing, yes siring and admit you were going a little too fast. On the base proper there worse, treat you like terrorist. But he didn't write me that time.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'll take a 20 min lecture any day to a speeding ticket. I had a similar situation about 20 years ago but in the cage. I was late picking up my daughter at daycare when I was pulled over. I shut the car off rolled the Window down then placed my hands on top of the wheel. When he came up I informed him that I had a permit and was carrying then waited for him to ask where it was and where my I'D was. When he was done check my record , permit and gun he thanked me for telling him that I was carrying. He then let me off even though I was going 18 over the posted limit.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
While being polite and not trying BS the officer is IMOP best way to go. There is a chance he may have just left a nasty wreck before pulling you over. Then again being pulled over by USAF Military Police on highway out side of main gate while still on base property 9 out of 10 times will get you a ticket. No matter how much a$$ kissing, yes siring and admit you were going a little too fast. On the base proper there worse, treat you like terrorist. But he didn't write me that time.
Your post reminded me of something that happened to me on base once. I was headed to the chow hall on a bicycle. I passed a pickup, between the truck and the curb. You'd have thought that I was a bomb carrying terrorist when every light, siren, and horn on the truck started. I was wondering what the commotion was for when the truck pulled up next to me and the driver, over a loud speaker, ordered me to pull over. I got a ticket for doing 28 mph in a 25 mph zone. Plus I had to report to the squadron commander. Fortunately, he was a good guy and had the ticket 'removed'. But he did tell me not to pass those trucks again.

·
Registered
39,533 Posts
(forcing him over from the left lane while doing so)
Not that it would have helped you get out of the ticket, but what was he doing being a left lane bandit? :loco

·
Registered
257 Posts
Glad it turned out in your favor but I guess I didn't realize that after 48 continuous years of riding that as I get off on the left side that it is the "wrong" side. Can someone please explain to my why dismounting on the right side is the "right" side?

·
Registered
39,533 Posts
I'm guessing its cause of the traffic being to your left in that instance.

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Not that it would have helped you get out of the ticket, but what was he doing being a left lane bandit? :loco
:) Best to let that sleeping dog alone after he pulls you over. :)

CHP out here will get in left lane to slow down the maniacs. Quite funny to see the impatient drivers cutting in and out of traffic. Then oops there's a cop ....

They will also zig zag across the lanes.

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts
I went on a ride along last night and pulled over a guy & his wife. He was driving & hit .14+ so he got arrested. Then his wife started in yapping & getting involved. She then did something stupid & got herself arrested. Then, back at the station, since she wouldn't quit she was in a cell to cool her jets.

If she would've stayed calm at the scene the car would have been towed & probably be given a ride home by an officer. Whoops.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
I went on a ride along last night and pulled over a guy & his wife. He was driving & hit .14+ so he got arrested. Then his wife started in yapping & getting involved. She then did something stupid & got herself arrested. Then, back at the station, since she wouldn't quit she was in a cell to cool her jets.

If she would've stayed calm at the scene the car would have been towed & probably be given a ride home by an officer. Whoops.

IF she was sober and not being a a$$. Could she have just taken car home or is it procedure to tow car automatically of the drunk driver ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
In New Zealand we just say to the cop I am pleased you saw me....nobody else on the bloody road seems to

·
Banned
71 Posts
IF she was sober and not being a a$$. Could she have just taken car home or is it procedure to tow car automatically of the drunk driver ?
Around here all DWI's are towed. Just another "fine" you pay before you get a chance to go to court. :mad

·
Living the dream
2,550 Posts

Well, she was being an ass. The law is that car is automatically towed & impounded for either 12 or 24 hrs so that way the driver cannot get in the same car & drive after posting bond. In my buddy's town the driver deals directly with the towing company. His town makes no money off the tow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well, she was being an ass. The law is that car is automatically towed & impounded for either 12 or 24 hrs so that way the driver cannot get in the same car & drive after posting bond. In my buddy's town the driver deals directly with the towing company. His town makes no money off the tow.

A lot more people talk their way INTO a ticket or arrest than talk themselves out of one. It's been awhile but if there was a sober, licensed driver at the scene that the driver was willing to give the vehicle to then we let them take it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts