Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a rear wheel puncture yesterday (nail).Thinking of doing it myself(changing the tube).Anyone know of any difficulties involved, such as lining up wheel again and tensioning the drivebelt.'07 Streetbob.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Bummer. It can be done, I've never done it, some do it with relative ease, some say never again and let the dealer do it. :) An option for perspective to supplement responses here is let Google or another search engine see what it can uncover. Maybe search on something like "Harley rear tire change instructions"

Steve

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done it.

Well it's not too difficult.Borrowed a platform lift from a friend.Hardest part was removing the rear axle, even though the bike(new in Sept) has only 3000 miles on it and hardly ever been out in the rain, there was considerable corrosion on it. Took quite a bit of "bashing" with a soft hammer to move it.
Had a new tube put in at a local motorcycle tyre shop, cost £12 which is a lot cheaper than the dealer quote.By the way I marked the position of the axle with masking tape beforehand (both sides) and put everything back to exactly the same spot.All seems OK.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to be late on this post, but if you take that rear axle out, then be sure to use antisieze when you put it back on. It'll save all kinds of BASHING when you go to take it back off again.

RJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts