Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum!Ready to buy first Harley!

So I've rode a couple different ones here and there. I've researched and shopped for months. Due to busy work schedule I've missed out on amazing deals (ex: 2012 RG,4k mi, $16500) that I doubt I'll see anymore of anytime soon. So now I'm trying to decide is it worth it to buy a new 2013, or maybe the best used deal I've found since winter.

I can get a 2013 Orange RG, with $2k down @ rate of 3.99%, with bike being $19,500 + ttl, + crate/delivery/building fee required on all new bikes) which all comes out to around $22500.

OR

I can get a 2010 Black RG, 1700 mi, $0 down @ rate of 5.9%, with bike being $16,000 +ttl which comes out to $17,200..

Besides the 103 motor, I couldn't find many other differences between 2010 and 2013. What are the other key differences?

Is the 103 motor really worth it?

Which do u think is better deal or better purchase?

·
Just Ride
3,200 Posts

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I think the 103 motor is a lot better than the 96 and a new bike will get a 2 year warranty. That is probably the only difference with the two, but with the 2010 you might get a lot of extras like stage one and chrome. Ride both and see.:think

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
MoCo went to a more advanced wiring/ECM communication system in 2011 or 2012 called CAN-BUS. Functionally, I am not sure that it would make a lot of difference, but it is a difference. Other than the motor, they should be otherwise the same. Same frame, transmission, etc. I would have to think there are subtle differences and other slight changes that happen over time.

If it were me, I'd probably buy the 2010. (but, I'd still pay the $2K down and more if I had it) That $5k gap will close over the next few years. I can almost assure you than in 3-4 years the difference in value on those bikes will be more like $2K or so.

I have ridden a couple of 103s. I do think there is a difference. To me, it feels like there is more difference between a 103" and a 96" than there is between a 96" and 88. But, that's just based on my limited experience with them. That said, I wouldn't pay $5K for that difference. Everyone is different though. I have a Stage 1 88", and it is all the motor I want.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
You really want the 2013... Full warranty, 103 engine, you will know how it has been cared for....

Try to negotiate the financing down to the 2.99 offer HD has now, try to negotiate an additional discount and the difference (with fin costs) will be a wash...

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You really want the 2013... Full warranty, 103 engine, you will know how it has been cared for....

Try to negotiate the financing down to the 2.99 offer HD has now, try to negotiate an additional discount and the difference (with fin costs) will be a wash...
If a warranty is an issue, you can buy an ESP for the 2010 and still be ahead $3K. If so inclined, you could spend that $3K on the motor and have a 96 that would eat up the 103.

I guess I just don't worry too much about warranties. The chances of the 2010 costing him $5K over two years is almost null unless he plans to put 40K miles on it in that time.

But, ultimately buy the one that you love. In the end, the money doesn't matter that much.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
If you aren't overly concerned about the additional cost of the 2013, I would go that direction just because it's new and you know where it's been. Again you would have the warranty as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Add up the total of all the payments and what not and see what it comes out to. 2 additions % points on the interest rate will close that gap and might make the new one make more sense to you. Either way enjoy it!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy what you want. Either one have any extras?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ok If I am correct the 2010 w/1700 miles has Rinehart 2-1 exhaust, some kind of screaming eagle programmed chip (orange programmer is in bag just in case I need it again) and screaming eagle air filter, and upgraded speakers. Not sure if all of that classifies as an actual stage 1 or not...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

At first they tried to screw me offering me 9% with like $2500 down. Had sale sheet sent to my credit union and they gave me 0 down at 5%. So of course HD tried to compete with some other bs but finally at the end offered that $2000 down, 3.99% in which he made a call to get approved. So I doubt they'll do 2.99% but I can try

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Ok If I am correct the 2010 w/1700 miles has Rinehart 2-1 exhaust, some kind of screaming eagle programmed chip (orange programmer is in bag just in case I need it again) and screaming eagle air filter, and upgraded speakers. Not sure if all of that classifies as an actual stage 1 or not...
Sounds like it was programmed with the H-D SERT. If it has those parts, it probably also has a Stage 1 AC. All that's worth at least $1K give or take.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the 96 in my '10 Street Glide. I now have the 103 in the '13 RGU. I didn't think the 103 would be much different, I was wrong. Even though I've kept both bikes stock as far as the motor goes, there is a noticeable difference with the 103. Go with the 103, maybe do a little more shopping around to try to get a better deal, you might be able to get them to wave the set-up fee, or if you go with Vivid Black, you can save $500 right there. Good Luck...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the 96 in my '10 Street Glide. I now have the 103 in the '13 RGU. I didn't think the 103 would be much different, I was wrong. Even though I've kept both bikes stock as far as the motor goes, there is a noticeable difference with the 103. Go with the 103, maybe do a little more shopping around to try to get a better deal, you might be able to get them to wave the set-up fee, or if you go with Vivid Black, you can save $500 right there. Good Luck...
Your one of the only people I've ever seen say they can notice a different between the stock 96 and 103. I heard these are the last RG's for a few years so that's something else I'm considering. No one knows what the new model will bring so it might be something I like, or not like.. decisions decisions smh

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Your one of the only people I've ever seen say they can notice a different between the stock 96 and 103. I heard these are the last RG's for a few years so that's something else I'm considering. No one knows what the new model will bring so it might be something I like, or not like.. decisions decisions smh
I'd bet that 96" with the Stage 1 tuning and the 2-1 Rinehart is pretty close to the stock 103". Of course, you can Stage 1 the 103" as well!! :)

how much do you ride? Miles per year?

·
Just Wastin Time
274 Posts
I have a 2010 EGC (96") with SE A/C, V&H power duals classic slip-ons, PCV... and got 75HP, 85TQ...

With the setup on the 2010 I would bet it should be a bit better than that..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd bet that 96" with the Stage 1 tuning and the 2-1 Rinehart is pretty close to the stock 103". Of course, you can Stage 1 the 103" as well!! :)

how much do you ride? Miles per year?
I actually ride quite a bit, but this will be my first cruiser. All my other bikes are sportbikes. Truth be told I'll probably end up with another Harley of some sort down the road bc I'm sure I'll end up customizing one. So one more custom, the other strictly for riding

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
that ultra has that back seat with speakers and all that, and extra bag on back right?
Yes. The tour-pak (the "trunk") and rear, wrap-around backrest are integrated. They can be made to quick release and be removed if that is something you think you would like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts