Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well started with a 103 motor, build the frame with a drop seat in it, messed it up and built it to low so I have to do something else with the oil tank. Thinking about putting it up front, also messed it up for my battery to hide but its all trial and air for me. This Is my first Harley build. Ill figure it out. Using a r1 front end 51mm front forks, a vrod 240 rear tire, It took me a while but the rims match pretty closely even have the red paint ring around the rim on both. got some kick ass front lever controls been saving these for about 10 years now was going to use them on my r1 build but never did. I set up a motion pro throttle assembly don’t think I measured it correctly but it fits without any adjustment meaning the throttle body goes back to close without any adjustment. Just have to figure out how to cross over my clutch cable because Harley uses some weird shit on their cable its not just a lead puck like all other street bikes. The risers are custom built by a stunt family member RSC to match my control levers. Took me a while to find a head light to match my front end. think I found one and it cost me a pretty penny but you wont see any Harley with it on guaranteed. It sits up close to the bars like I want. Had to work on the swing arm and shorten the overall Width to 10 ¼”
The build is called Purple heart. I have a purple heart medal that I plan to put into a custom tank going with a Buell cover look but shaped with metal. and a few other things. I have an old ww1 Purple Heart Belt Buckle that I plan to put into the rear fender with a light around it. few other small things POW Tag Items that I found.
Well stay tuned. Hopefully it starts to warm up here so I can open the garage door

Ever in Kansas City stop by and have a beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Road Junkie
1,862 Posts
While I applaud the build concept, I have some reservations about incorporating an actual Military Order of the Purple Heart medal into the build. Just my 2 cents, your view may vary.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thinking about doing my seat like this one with a few of my images here
It already looks amazing with just a frame motor and wheels. Keep updating this post i will definitely follow.

You can do whatever you want to your bike. The purple heart was your grandfather's? If so. It's a tribute to your grandfather. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
37,542 Posts
I served from 92 to 96- US Army 92 Engineers, My Grand Parent served in WW2 and the Korean War, If you new the back story of the purple heart it might change your mind. My grand dad passed
away in 95 its just a memorial piece to him
Your Grand Dad's name should go with that Purple Heart IMO.

There is another Purple Heart themed bike in KC that the owner earned himself in Iraq.

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
My Grandfather earned a Purple Heart in WW1. Gives me idea to honor him on my next ride. May be something small in a strategic place. He never talked about the war. Quiet man that worked hard in coal mine in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I served from 92 to 96- US Army 92 Engineers, My Grand Parent served in WW2 and the Korean War, If you new the back story of the purple heart it might change your mind. My grand dad passed
away in 95 its just a memorial piece to him
Sappers Forward! I was 12B. My dad was 11B and earned a Purple Heart in 'Nam.

I think it's very tasteful and respectful. But (and you already know this), doesn't matter what other people think. If you like it, that's all that matters.

Thank you and your family for your service. :usa
Definitely buying you a beer if I ever end up in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My Grandfather earned a Purple Heart in WW1. Gives me idea to honor him on my next ride. May be something small in a strategic place. He never talked about the war. Quiet man that worked hard in coal mine in Pennsylvania.
Same. The only thing anyone in my family discussed about their service is that if my dad had stayed in after Vietnam, he would have finished his 20 a mere 2 months after I completed Boot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
While I applaud the build concept, I have some reservations about incorporating an actual Military Order of the Purple Heart medal into the build. Just my 2 cents, your view may vary.
I see where you're coming from on principle. He's a veteran, his family are veterans, and he's not claiming something he isn't. It's a tribute bike. I'd like to think that anyone who sees it and understands the significance of the medal would think it a fitting tribute.

:smile

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Houston we have a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looks like when I made this frame I didn't make the side rail/chain side kick out, I was at the Harley shop looking at the new vrode and noticed its 240 had a kick out in the frame chain side. Looks like ill have to do something about this. Wish I would of know this before I built the frame. Guess you learn around every corner when building a bike around a engine.

Can you run the chain out side these rails instaead of between ? . I haven't realy measured anything yet but I gave up for the night. I didn't even want t think about it.....

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Antigravity Battery12 cell -Will it start a 103

Ok I cant find shit on google/utube except that no one will say if a 12 cell Antigravity Battery will actually start a 103 Fatboy engine they say 1200 cc , I have a custom build I'm building and need a very small battery as you can see.

Let me know if you have put one in you bike and it works ( 12 cell not the 16 cell). 16 cell is same size as stock just lighter.

12 cell Is 4.5x3.25x4.25

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Antigravity Battery12 cell -Will it start a 103

Ok I cant find shit on google/utube except that no one will say if a 12 cell Antigravity Battery will actually start a 103 Fatboy engine they say 1200 cc , I have a custom build I'm building and need a very small battery as you can see.

Let me know if you have put one in you bike and it works ( 12 cell not the 16 cell). 16 cell is same size as stock just lighter.

12 cell Is 4.5x3.25x4.25

·
Registered
11,301 Posts
The CCA of battery should tell you all you need to know about starting 103.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts