Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, got a 98 Dyna Low Rider, changed the cam, put everything back on correct(pretty sure)... I'm stuck on setting the pushrods, I got the S&S adjustable ones, anything I watch or read, says: set it at 4 turns, soon as I get to 2, it gets really tight & hard to turn... Any thoughts????

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
You ran them down to seat and went 24 flats?
Assuming at Tdc of tappets you want to adjust...
Did you let them bleed down for 30 min?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Oh... I re read... Doesn't sound like you had the right starting point if you can only get 2 turns

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I got the bike in highest gear, 5th, and did the trick with the straw in the cylinder, turn the wheel until the straw goes all the way up.... " right starting point"??

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Yeah, I got the bike in highest gear, 5th, and did the trick with the straw in the cylinder, turn the wheel until the straw goes all the way up.... " right starting point"??
Just because the straw is at the top, doesn't mean your at TDC. Both lifters have to be at the low spot on your cam. One cylinder at a time, starting with number one. Do they spin freely, just before your ready to turn?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Gotgold.. Yeah, I'm doing 1 cylinder at a time & both pushrods spin freely...also, I noticed the pushrods aren't moving up and down as I turn the wheel..

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Silverback, but that's what I'm getting my info from, the S&S videos on YouTube...I'm doing it exactly how they say to, the guy on the video gets to 24 flats... When I get to about 10-12 flats, it starts to get very tight to turn...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
It will get tight as they seat. Wait 30 minutes and they should bleed down and turn freely by hand.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I don't know where you are in the process, so don't take offense.
You may need to start over...

The position of the piston is not as important at this stage as the position of the cam lobes/lifters. As Got Gold said, the lifters have to be sitting on the backside of the cam lobes. The way I did it, I checked with my fingers on the lifters before I put the pushrods in place. This is easier with somebody helping to turn the engine over for you while you observe the lifter position. With both lifters for one cylinder on "base circle" of the cam lobes, install the pushrods and extend the adjustment until they are LIGHTLY seated in the lifter cup. Then start the adjustment from that point. There will be more resistance because you are compressing the spring inside the lifter at that stage. Count your flats to get the proper setting. You will not be able to spin the pushrod with your fingers at that point. But after 10-15 minutes, you should be able to spin the pushrods with your fingers. It is IMPERATIVE that you don't move the crankshaft until you can spin the pushrod with your fingers. Do both pushrods for one cylinder before repeating the procedure for the other cyclinder.

--

·
Registered
41,422 Posts
Thanks Silverback, but that's what I'm getting my info from, the S&S videos on YouTube...I'm doing it exactly how they say to, the guy on the video gets to 24 flats... When I get to about 10-12 flats, it starts to get very tight to turn...
Sounds like you might not have let your lifters bleed down.

Let them sit where it gets tight for 30 mins, then start again from the beginning.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, will do... It just seemed weird that the guy in the S&S video was able to adjust the pushrods with no problem, he didn't explain that it would get tight

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Kainam... So turn the tappets till they get tight, let it bleed down, then set them with the 4 full turns??

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Ok, will do... It just seemed weird that the guy in the S&S video was able to adjust the pushrods with no problem, he didn't explain that it would get tight
I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, just a question.. is the lock nut preventing you from turning with out resistance?

·
Registered
41,422 Posts
@Kainam... So turn the tappets till they get tight, let it bleed down, then set them with the 4 full turns??
After they bleed down, loosen them up and set them with 4 turns after they make contact with the lifter and are no longer loose (slack taken up).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@GotGold... Haha... Nah, I made sure they were out of the way.... I was setting the 4 turns before letting it bleed down... I'm guessing that was my mistake.... I'm I'm the process of letting them bleed down now... Then I will see

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
@GotGold... Haha... Nah, I made sure they were out of the way.... I was setting the 4 turns before letting it bleed down... I'm guessing that was my mistake.... I'm I'm the process of letting them bleed down now... Then I will see
:thumb

1 - 20 of 42 Posts