Harley Davidson Forums banner

Put a new clutch disc kit and now clutch permanently engaged?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EvoRK 
#1 ·
Kind of long...
Got an energy one clutch kit.
Replaced it.
Took off slack from cable... followed instructions... soaked new plates...etc.
it creeped forward slowly. Then i realized there was 2 pieces eliminated with this kit, i initially thought it was one piece. I think they're called jetters or spring seat. Anyway. I messed up there and it was my bad.

So broke it down again.. although this time i think i made a mistake in which i didn't cut the slack from the clutch cable.
I realized this when i went back to adjust it and it already had some tension in it. So i cut the slack, redid the clutch adjustment.
Now it leaps forward and stalls. And it doesn't start with clutch pulled, nor does it roll back or forward with the clutch pulled in gear.

Basically its as if the clutch is constantly being engaged. I tried adjusting the clutch adjuster to 1/8..1/2...3/4...1
Nothing. The lever feels pretty stiff too.

I read old forum posts on various sites and something that comes up is the ball and ramp on the other sode of the bike.

Would forgetting to loosen cable or just messing with the clutch cause those balls to unset? And if so could they cause these symptoms? Or what else could it be?

See less See more
#2 ·
Pull the trans filler plug and stick a pencil magnet down in the hole to see if ya come up with ramp balls.
If the cable feels stiff the ramps could be misaligned too. Pulling the cable when everything was apart could have pulled the ramps over center.

Reactions: Kainam
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.