Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped my bike about 3 weeks ago. I was following a group of people who made a sudden turn long story short I grabbed front brake and went down in the gravel. Question is what if anything should I have checked out? Damage was very minimal thankfully for the crash bar in the front only messed up saddle bag and pipes a bit and one floorboard bracket. All those parts have been fixed! But was just curious if I should have front end checked out or anything else?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Crazy i've been riding for 15 years and first time i've ever put a bike down and it had to be my first Harley.... Oh well hopefully now it's out of my system and I never have to experience that again...

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
I would give it a good look over and find any loose or broken/cracked parts, ride it and if it feels right it probably is.
Take it to a dealer and pay an hour labor to let them check it out if you'll sleep better at night.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Agreed with sickness, just like to add one thing, these bikes are built tough regardless of what u hear. If something is broken it will be noticeable while ur riding. Give it a good visual, under, over, every nook and cranny, look for cracks, bends and loose bolts. Use ur manual for bolt torques and go threw and make sure everything is nice and sound. If u don't feel comfy doing this then take it to dealership for a piece of mind is a good idea. Welcome to the club man, we have all been there or will all be there soon! Haha

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
That definitely sucks but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been to riding classes and courses and dropped these bikes hard, time after time. The damage is usually just cosmetic.

Glad to hear you're not hurt. :thumbup:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Terribley sorry to hear that guy. I think more accidents happen in groups than any other time. My only concern would be the steering head.

My bike is an Ultra, stripped and rebuilt. I aways wanted a clean bike and then HD started making them and is now the best selling bike thay make FLHX. I only have hyw bars for foot pegs otherwise I'd get rid of them too. If I go down, my bags have no protection, sometimes I think I want to put the bag guards back on but, I just hate having all kinds of chrome cockamamie all over the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
15 years and that's the first time you have dropped a bike? That's outstanding.As stated in a previous post these bikes are built strong

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Thats a good streak. Now you can go another 15.... dont feal bad, the first day i had my 2010 ultra. It stalled going up my driveway, only 13 miles on her and i dropped it. Scratched the right bag and pipe and broke both my antennas... i was so pissed off fa fa......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
If I go down, my bags have no protection, sometimes I think I want to put the bag guards back on but, I just hate having all kinds of chrome cockamamie all over the bike.
Hmm, maybe you could powder coat the bag guards the same color as the bike, or even a complimentary color... :think

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Sucks that you dropped your bike, My late dad had always told me that there are only two types of riders, those that have dropped their bikes and those that are gonna dropp their bikes. glad that there wasn't only minimal scarring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to be a dispatch rider in Edinburgh Scotland back in the 80's. On some winter days with the ice and snow & cobbled streets you could pretty much guarantee dropping your bike at least once. My record was 4 times in one day LOL! Anyhow bikes are pretty tough and normally I could just pick it up and continue. I never bothered checking anything that wasn't obviously broken. It is surprising how much abuse a bike can take and I rode cheap crappy bikes built nowhere near as well as an HD.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the support guys!! I have heard that phrase as well their are those that have dropped bikes and those that will drop bikes... I am glad it was only cosmetic and that I wasn't hurt to bad... Other than my pride being hurt.... But I will survive I guess.. Went over bike really good and everything looks okay... I just wonder about steering.. Seems a little loose now... Might have dealer check it out.... Thanks again all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts