Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem like a dumb question, but I'm looking for protocol opinions concerning wearing patches on your vest. A family that we are very close to drove through Sturgis last week and, even though bike week hadn't started yet, their merchandise was already out. Bottom line is that they brought me back one of the patches for Sturgis (complete with 75th anniversary insignia) as well as a pin. I've always been of the opinion that basically only patches go on your vest of places you've actually gone to. They were real excited to give it to me and are assuming I'm going to put it on my vest. Just wondering if there is an unwritten rule out there as to what the 'normal' protocol is (I'll have to admit that it is a pretty cool patch!).

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
JMO, t-shirts are one thing, but patches on a vest should be for events you went to.

Just gotta jam up to Sturgis real quick to make it legit. :D

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
JMO, t-shirts are one thing, but patches on a vest should be for events you went to.
:nod

I do`t do t-shirts either. But that is just me.

Personally find it refreshing that someone is still into the Old School enough to ask. :thumb

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
MY vest has only patches/pins of events I have attended. I don't care if others display gift patches. We don't compare and discuss. Lately there's more new "rememberance" patches than events.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
If someone gave you a Hells Angel patch would you wear it... No.

If someone gave me a Sturgis patch I wouldn't wear it unless I was there.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts

While I agree on not wearing what I have not earned.

Totally disagree on the comparison. One will get your a$$ stomped.
The other is just a patch.

·
Registered
42,143 Posts
One could try wearing a few different top rockers: Hell's Angels, Mongols, Pagans, Bandidos, and see what happens... Lol
Well, just so long as you don't wear an Outlaws top rocker, I guess that would be ok... :what?

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Serious club patches are not what is being discussed. Totally different subject.

I occasionaly wear a vest with patches of places I've rode to and through. Wear what you want. May just have to display the patch at home somehow and let them know your wishes.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,386 Posts

If someone gave you a Hells Angels patch you would wear it... As it would have been a Hells Angels member that gave it to you. 'Bout a year after your prospect patch..... MC Patches are always club property!

Wear what you want.. Personally I only wear where I have been on my vest... But Tshirts I do get them as gifts, plus forum exchanges... I wear them...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. I actually agree, probably not going to wear it. I'll put it on a wall with some other patches that have been given to me that I didn't actually go to (no Hell's Angels though).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have some patches that were gifts but the are not event patches
I might ware it and not be afraid to tell people hey my partner got me this one
I have a Pegasus's (Mobil oil ) on my vest a friend gave me and a pirate some one made for me

]

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Reminds me of the t-shirt thread while back
Before that thread I was in with only wear where i've rode to type
But others spoke of shirts that were gift or picked up while in the cage

Since then friends and family have picked me up a few shirts from here and there and Its fine

I think the reason I was originally against it was because of some guys I know that all the sudden got into the TV motorcycle shows and bought some import v twins and went online and bought all kinds of pins and patches and started acting like they had been into this biker stuff for decades and have since quit riding all together

·
Registered
419 Posts
...I think the reason I was originally against it was because of some guys I know that all the sudden got into the TV motorcycle shows and bought some import v twins and went online and bought all kinds of pins and patches and started acting like they had been into this biker stuff for decades and have since quit riding all together
Johnny come-lately posers are everywhere, not just bikes. You gotta watch where you step or you'll get some on your boots...

I've got pins and patches, and thingy's from all over, from more than 40 years of riding but I don't
even own a vest... May have to get one though...

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,786 Posts
Thirty years ago I had a levi jacket cut off to make a vest that I would put over my leather jacket and had all kinds of stuff on it, don't know what happened to it probably fell apart. I bought a leather vest at a garage sale three years ago its like brand new...its been hangin in the closet ever since. Maybe I'll get some more stuff to put on it and wear it over my levi jacket ? vice virsa

·
Banned
181 Posts
Geesh...........now i need a vest.
and a pool, thats all i will ever need..and two blonds by the pool, and THATS all i will ever need,
and this patch...........LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts