Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Harley, an 09 Heritage Classic, and am really happy with everything except the sound. The bike has the stock pipes which have been punched out. I know that exhaust sound is very subjective, but in people's opinion, I'd like to know if putting the Rush slip ons with the 1 3/4 baffle (its a 100% stock motor) will be louder and deeper then the stock punch outs that are on it? Thank you very much.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I have Rush mufflers with 2" baffles on my FXDC and they sound great. They have videos of all their mufflers on different HD's on YouTube.

Here's the link to the Heritage mufflers with 2" baffles.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I just purchased my first Harley, an 09 Heritage Classic, and am really happy with everything except the sound. The bike has the stock pipes which have been punched out. I know that exhaust sound is very subjective, but in people's opinion, I'd like to know if putting the Rush slip ons with the 1 3/4 baffle (its a 100% stock motor) will be louder and deeper then the stock punch outs that are on it? Thank you very much.

Johnny, I'm not sure about the exact sizes, but Rush slipons are available with 3 different baffle sizes. I had the loudest baffles on my Sportster--TOO DAMN LOUD! Gave me (and the neighbors) a headache. Next bike was a Fat Bob with Rush slipons with the middle of the 3 sizes and it was perfect. Nice low rpm rumble and sounded awesome at high rpms. So, in my mind, the quietest baffles wouldn't have been much more than the stock set up.

Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I think the stock pipes with the baffles punched out sound like a$$, but that is my opinion. I would think you'd be much happier with the Rush. Rush mufflers are pretty nice, IMO.

This is actually my old bike. I made this video after I put the Rush mufflers on it. They were the 2" baffles. The bigger the baffle, the deeper the pulse, but also the louder. I thought the 1.75s where too tinny sounding to my ears, and bigger than 2" was too loud for my tastes. The 2" was perfect.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I have the 2.5" baffles in the big Louie's on my ultra. Not too loud but lots of reversion and decel popping.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
That is not what rush told me when I called them

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I thought that I had read with a stock engine not to go bigger then the 1 3/4, is this in fact the case?

I didn't have any issues running the 2" with the stock 88 ci. I spoke to the folks at Rush before I bought them. I don't know why it would be any different with a 96 ci.

I added a Stage 1 air setup later and a PC-III, but it ran just fine with the stock air and fuel with those pipes.

The 1.75" mufflers are a little quieter than the 2", but they do sound a lot better than stock. They just have a little too much "pop" for my taste. I like the lower, more rounded pulse.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put the 1.75 on my 2010 FXDC (no mods) last summer. Very impressed with the sound and quality of the slip on. They made my bike sound respectable, not obnoxious. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 2012 FXDC, 96cid motor (completely stock), Rush Slip ons, either 2.5 or 2.75 baffles. Sounds and runs great. Make sure to get new exhaust clamps, I didn't and I wish I would have, I had to replace them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks very much guys. I have decided to go with the 2" baffles after talking to the Rush tech. Both of those videos, especially the second one really helped sell me on them. I really appreciate it.

Ratso, we have the same color combination. I have been getting nothing but compliments on it.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
I think you'll be happy with them. I have Rush slip-ons with 1 3/4" baffles and like 'em. I would probably go up to the 2" now, but I wasn't sure when I got them. 1 3/4" are not bad, I think 2" would be a little better.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I had the Rush 1.75" on my Ultra for a few years and liked the quality & sound. Tried the 2.25" but they were too loud for my taste.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
Rush is less than 5 miles from my office. My Heritage had the 2 inch Rush mufflers on the show room floor when I bought the bike. Obviously the dealer was cool with the idea.

Sounds great. Looks great. Very happy. If you change the air cleaner you will need to re-program.

·
Registered
48 Posts
replaced stock mufflers on a sporty with Rush 1.75 and it sounded sooo much better! Also replaced stock mufflers on my fat bob with Rush 2.25 and it too sounded sooo much better! I actually think the sporty with the 1.75 sounded better than the fat bob! And like DevilDawg said, don't forget NEW clamps! Absolutely necessary!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the stock mufflers off last night. The Rush slip ons with the 2" baffle will be here today, can't wait. The stock ones came off with no trouble after a small shot of PB Blaster and a 20 min soak time, much easier then I anticipated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Johnny K, I know you are all set now and will probably love the Rush slip-ons. When I bought my 06 FLHT TC88 it had the Rush slip-ons with the 2.25 baffles, sounded great, but too loud for me at highway speeds and long distance. I put the stockers back on that also came with the bike. I absolutely could not stand the stock sound, too much engine noise and not enough exhaust sound. I ordered some replacement baffles, 1.75 inch, not from Rush, but they do fit the Rush. I wrapped them real tight with the insulation stuff that comes with them. This quietened them up a little bit and it still sounded good. I was planning a long ride and was still afraid these might be a little too loud at interstate speeds 300+ miles. Just for kicks I ordered some late model stock touring take-offs for a reasonable price. I drove a large pointed bar (some kind of rebar from Lowes) through the pipes until they were open all the way through. The opening is probably an inch in diameter. Truth be told I cannot tell much difference between the 1.75 Rush and the opened up stockers. I did get what I was looking for, the noise at 70mph is just about right now and I can still tell I am on a Harley. When/if I ever sell this bike the next owner will have all sorts of exhaust sounds to pick from :)

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Thanks very much guys. I have decided to go with the 2" baffles after talking to the Rush tech. Both of those videos, especially the second one really helped sell me on them. I really appreciate it.

Ratso, we have the same color combination. I have been getting nothing but compliments on it.
Cool! I get compliments as well. I think the FXDC is just a sweet bike all around. Light, powerful and classic Harley look.

·
Señor Member
19,666 Posts
You're going to love the sound of the Rush. Let us know what you think.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts