Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is my question.
I read that we should stay quiet in certain cities because of noise bylaws (hog mag). I read that we should not loose the freedom of riding. (hog mag) Gas mileage is a big concern along with saving the planet.
So here it is. The new flhr that I am about to receive, should I change the pipes?
Is it tuned for optimum mileage, back pressure, air intake, from the factory?
And if it is why do I find breathers, louder mufflers, etc. in the HD parts book? Is this a contradiction?
Thanks

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey Man,

Your bike is setup for the least amount of emissions straight from the factory. That also translates into the best fuel mileage possible. The way it is tuned is as lean as possible. If thats your main goals then your all set. The thing is most of us want a little more sound and performance. You can get mildly louder pipes and freer flowing air filter from HD (Screaming Eagle) or if you want to go beyond that level with even louder pipes you then have to start retuning your motor with add on tuners/fuelers (electronic devices) because it will run too lean which translates into a very hot motor that doesnt run right.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Y'know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine?
RIDE IT! Nothin' else.

Messin' with it will cost you money for the parts and labor,
it'll cost for the re-tune,
it'll probably cost you in mileage, performance, and reliability.

Then there's this...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as this is my 35th bike, or 5th harley i am over being loud at all costs. Now i just want to travel and have the people behind me stop wanting to pass all the time lol. But awww a shovel with straights i will always remember.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Just cause govermental regulations say so dosent mean we are all robots and have to follow.
Do what makes YOU happy not the goverment.
Ride Safe:ride

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Don't listen to what these guys say - they will lead you astray.

You should certainly change the tubes on your new bike, and the intake system as well. Of course this means you will have to fit a SERT as well and get the whole thing dyno tested and retuned.

OK - so, so far we are up to a couple thousand :D

Then, you will need to swap out the bars - ooops, I damn nearly forgot the risers also, and have the metal parts resprayed in some obscure shape-shifting color.

Don't forget to change out the seat - there are some really good ones out there for less than $800 :D

And add bling, chrome, bags and whatever.

Or you could just ride the ****ing thing.

Not that I would know anything :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Ok so here is my question.
I read that we should stay quiet in certain cities because of noise bylaws (hog mag). I read that we should not loose the freedom of riding. (hog mag) Gas mileage is a big concern along with saving the planet.
So here it is. The new flhr that I am about to receive, should I change the pipes?
Is it tuned for optimum mileage, back pressure, air intake, from the factory?
And if it is why do I find breathers, louder mufflers, etc. in the HD parts book? Is this a contradiction?
Thanks
Just would note I have two riding friends with new H-D's bought the past 12 months. They both have kept them bone stock, and they both get a kick out of them as is. They sound deep and low. Have plenty of giddy up and go. Zero problems.

Why not enjoy your new bike during the break-in period unchanged, and then decide if you want to to anything. Nice to have choices, including doing nothing.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Rule of Three

Never spend money until you have said "Fukkit That Is Really Pi$$ing Me Off" at least three times :D

Then consider whether it wouldn't really be better to spend the money on women and booze :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
consider whether it wouldn't really be better to spend the money on women and booze
..or a 2nd bike...

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
...consider whether it wouldn't really be better to spend the money on women and booze
Somewhere you want to give some weight to your health and safety, remembering that
women and booze are hazardous to your health and safety.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts