Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a used one right now., Found a really nice 2009 with 10,000 miles, garage kept and Chrome aftermarket rims otherwise stock.
The bike comes with a 96" motor.
How does this compare for reliability, maintenance and overall power compared with the newer bikes with the 103's.

Thanks

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Both reliability and maintenance should be about the same. The 103's have some more power and the 103s in the '14-16 bikes have a little more power than a older 103 because they are "High-Output" which I think just means they have a little hotter cams.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a 2009 SG and loved it. Went from a 2003 VStar 1100 so to me the power was fantastic. Had it not been hit I would still have it today. Now I have a 2014 SGS. I got it almost a year after the '09 loss so it's difficult to give a fair comparison...the '14 is definitely more powerful but I still think the '09 was more than enough. If you can get it for a good price, you should be happy. Especially if it's red.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Reliability will be as good as any others. If the power is a little off of what you want, you can always wake it up a little with AC, aftermarket exhaust, and maybe some cams.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Reliability will be as good as any others. If the power is a little off of what you want, you can always wake it up a little with AC, aftermarket exhaust, and maybe some cams.
I have to agree. I have a 2011 with a 96" motor. After a set of true duals, Arlen Ness big air sucker and a set of T-man cams, the bike dynoed at 98.6 hp and 104 torque. It will smoke any stock 103. I originally wanted a 103 but got a great deal on the bike I have. Now I am happy with it's power and sound.

Bottom line is: A stock 96" motor is reliable and has plenty of power. You can spend about $1500 on it to be more powerful than a stock 103.

Reactions: TASSY5

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have to agree. I have a 2011 with a 96" motor. After a set of true duals, Arlen Ness big air sucker and a set of T-man cams, the bike dynoed at 98.6 hp and 104 torque. It will smoke any stock 103. I originally wanted a 103 but got a great deal on the bike I have. Now I am happy with it's power and sound.

Bottom line is: A stock 96" motor is reliable and has plenty of power. You can spend about $1500 on it to be more powerful than a stock 103.
Cams and tune- A lot of good cams out there.
Friend has almost three hundred thousand on his 96, cam chest only into once.
No additional work other than maint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts