Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just purchased a new Ultra Classic and decided that since HD had an extended warranty program that I would go ahead a get it to be on the safe side. After reading the policy last night and it appears that if I make any changes what so ever to the bikes exhaust system, motor or ignition system that I void the warranty. How can this be? If I have HD replace the parts with HD parts and have them installed by HD techs? I'm on travel right now and need to speak to the sales person but feel like I'm going to get the royal screwing over this. Does anyone have any experience with dealing with the new HD extended warranty? Am I misreading it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...By the way the U/C rides like a dream...

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
If your parts are purchased and installed by an HD certified tech and you keep the reciepts there is no problem. I know many people who have done this in the past. Even without the techs doing the job or HD parts you wont have a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Authorization

That sounds more realistic...Again I'll check with the dealership when I get home...

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
This Ultra is the first extended warranty I have ever purchased. The complexity and the costs pushed me over the edge just from the electronics side of it.

The only "issue" I have seen come up with the extended warranty was with a friend of mine coming back from Sturgis. I don't know exactly what happened but the local dealer there where he broke down would not replace his big build. He did replace it with a new stock engine, so Donnie got an '88 to replace his '95. The local dealer here would have replaced it with a new '95 build since they did the work.

·
70's Drag racer
43 Posts
It's up to the shop your dealing with. It has to be proven that the mod that was done is responsible for the problem irregaurdless. Save your stock parts and be prepared to put her back to original if they give you a problem. By the way, HD Mo Co HATES Kuryakyn! Especially those hyperchargers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just remember that the dealer has nothing to do with the extended warranty and many times even harley has nothing to do with the extended warranty, depends on who the warranty is through. Most times it's an independant organization that you pay for the warranty. It is up to who ever the warranty is through as to what gets paid and what not gets paid and any other circumstances.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only time I bought an extended warranty (I'm 62) I had to use it.
Never needed one on any thing else. Waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
extended warranties

Extended warranties are nothing more than insurance policies. Most dealers will be happy to get the work and simply bill the warranty company. 90%+ of the Harley's out there have exhaust modifications and if the warranties were not being honored you would hear the cursing from New York to L.A. Harley's are the most modified bikes in the world and the warranty companies know that. They are going to have all kinds of disclaimers but you should not have any problems, especially when your dealer does all the work.
Bruce:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also just recently bought a '09 Ultra Classic along with the extended warranty and what I was told that if it was added on the bike by the dealer when you bought it, it was covered under the warranty. Now if you had it added after the fact, my guess is it might not fall under the warranty.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,181 Posts
Extended warranties are a way to increase margin, nothing more.
And I'd be astonished it it wasn't HD or the dealer directly profiting from the deal.

Somebody who sells big ticket items at a place like Sears,
if they sell a refrigerator and don't sell the extended warranty,
they get a beatin'.

Better not to sell the refrigerator at all.

American Express Gold card USED to brag that anything you bought with th ecard, they'd double the warranty out of their pocket, so on a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, AmEx would cover it the second year.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
Your ability to have a bike covered under warranty, IMHO, is based soley on your relationship with your dealership.

Small print in any warranty reads that changing parts will void the warranty. That's their legal-OUT if anything can be thought to be abuse or installed incorrectly.

If the dealer does the work, then they *should* warranty it, but they always have the option to say "No".

Verbal agreements of "Oh...yeah....if we install it, we'll warranty it." rarely hold up in court....... I'd want that in writing.

A friend of mine has a 3 year old bike. The dealer installed the PCIII, V&H exhaust and aircleaner. They installed the WRONG PCIII. He's had it back to them 4 times and they refuse to change it and keep telling him the bike runs good, and his warranty was voided by adding those items anyway. This, after THEY sold them to him, told him it didn't effect the warranty and installed them on his bike. All verbal claims............
Check with a good Indie in your area.

The original warranty is with Harley Davidson.

The extended warranty is usually with a third party and many Indies are authorized to provide warranty service. They actually appreciate your business and most will work for you.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Check out the special offers....

When I bought my 04 RoadGlide, I originally refused the extended warranty.:eek:
The salesman told me that if I bought even one extra year, the interest rate on my loan would go down.
I had them run the figures and by purchasing just 1 year of the extended warranty, my monthly payment went down about $5.00.:D
Every accessory and add on (tour pack, 95 kit etc.) I bought at purchase time was warrantied for the original 2 years as well as the extra year purchased warranty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an '08 Ultra which was purchased in August of '07. So, after all said, is it worth buying an extended warrantee from my local dealer, or just take my chances? How much does it usually cost per year?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I paid a little over $1200.00 for a 5 year warranty from HD. Then found out Its only a 3 year warranty. When you purchase the extended warranty they include the first two years with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO, extended warranties are the bigest rip off on the planet. The HD loop hole to not cover it is if you wrench on your own bike. How much do you plan to ride? How long do you plan to keep it? Ride it and do not worry about it......

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
IMHO, extended warranties are the bigest rip off on the planet. The HD loop hole to not cover it is if you wrench on your own bike. How much do you plan to ride? How long do you plan to keep it? Ride it and do not worry about it......
Depends on the model.

With a $1,000 radio in the Ultra, I decided to buy my first new-bike warranty.

So far:

Master cylinder
Starter
New Seat
Cigarette lighter
Tachometer
Inner primary seal
New front tire

Mine is well on the way to paying for itself. It's an '07 with only 36,000 miles on it.

For those who trade every couple of years with 5,000 miles on their bikes, a warranty probably doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a seven year extended warrantee when I bought my 06 Road King. A coupl eof months ago, I cashed it in for a "prorated refund". I got back about 60% of the purchase price with the insurance company and the dealership each kickingin their respective share. It is rather amusing when you consider a seven year warrantee is really only five years of coverage because the first two are standard with the bike, so the one year of coverage actually covered by the extended warrantee cost me 40%!

Another way of looking at this is simply the business case for a warrantee. If the odds were not in favor of the dealership and the warrantee company, they would not sell the warrantee. Chances are, you'll spend more on the warrantee than the coverage is worth. Save your money ... or buy more chrome!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts