Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to self instal a set of SE 255 cams, my question is for those that have installed them did you have to change the shim thickness from the stock cams. Trying to get all the required parts rounded up before i start without buying things i dont need.
Thanks for your input.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I can't answer your question and I'm sure someone here can answer your question, but you would be better served by asking this question in the "Performance" section of this site.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am about to self instal a set of SE 255 cams, my question is for those that have installed them did you have to change the shim thickness from the stock cams. Trying to get all the required parts rounded up before i start without buying things i dont need.
Thanks for your input.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If I remember right, the whole shim set is only 12 bucks.

If you do find that you need a new shim, any indee should sell ya one for a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Assuming you are installing in a 103 ci, I don't think you need shims. I furnished the SE 255 cams and my Indy installed them. He would have mentioned shims if there had been a need for them because he would have wanted to get the money back for the expense of the shim kit. He did however replace the cam bearings. Heard you always want to do that when installing new cams.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the 255's, I don't anymore. There are better cams than those.

·
HULK7
182 Posts
[ QUOTE=TinyPeckerwood;3142697]I had the 255's, I don't anymore. There are better cams than those.[/QUOTE]
I would like to know of ones better! I plan on doing my SGS and would love to know which ones are better!

·
Retired citizen
23,364 Posts
If you mean the alignment spacers for the sprockets, just purchase the spacer kit. You wont know what size you'll need until you measure the sprocket offset then you'll want to have on hand what you need.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had to reshim mine and can't recall how much but the shims are only a couple bucks.If the kit is cheap enough Id grab one, having all the parts for the job is nice.

·
Super Moderator
4,348 Posts
[ QUOTE=TinyPeckerwood;3142697]I had the 255's, I don't anymore. There are better cams than those.
I would like to know of ones better! I plan on doing my SGS and would love to know which ones are better![/QUOTE]

From his signature, I am guessing he prefers the Woods 777 Cams. There are several discussions on here about which ones are better. My CVO BO came with 255 but it is a different engine anyhow, even then there are better cams. Problem is, no cam is perfect, it depends on what performace you want to gain. Some sound better, some look better on a dyno and some will help you rip off the line faster.

·
HULK7
182 Posts
I would like to know of ones better! I plan on doing my SGS and would love to know which ones are better!

From his signature, I am guessing he prefers the Woods 777 Cams. There are several discussions on here about which ones are better. My CVO BO came with 255 but it is a different engine anyhow, even then there are better cams. Problem is, no cam is perfect, it depends on what performace you want to gain. Some sound better, some look better on a dyno and some will help you rip off the line faster.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info! I'm going to be looking for more to rip off the line faster.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Only you can decide which cams to install in your bike. I have SE255s in mine and like them a lot over the stock cams. Everyone will give you different opinions on which cam to choose, but in the end YOU will be riding your bike so you must choose. Good luck in your upgrades and remember to match your upgrade parts to match your riding style. Remember, Ride Safe...

·
Registered
557 Posts
My exsperiance with the 255's. I didn't have compression releases and hot starts were a big issue. The 255's created more heat in the engine. They had decent torque but ran out of power early. You might look at the Woods 555's they have a better torque curve than the 255's and carry the power further. Or maybe even the 203's from Harley. I swapped out my 255's for Woods 777's, but I also went to 107" and Fuel Moto level B heads at the same time. My bike Dyno'd 82 hp/ 103 with the 255's when 103". Now it's doing 110 and 115. The 255's would pull better way down low (2200rpm) my current set up pulls real hard at 3000 to 6200. A 103 with 777's will do right at 100 hp

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a complete camchest kit from Fueling and I am very happy with the results. I figured since I was going to tear it that far down I should go ahead and replace everything, The Fueling kit comes with everything you need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts