Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Twin Cam 88 with 21,000 miles on it.
I got it 5 months ago & read a lot about the cam tensioners needing to be inspected.
I did that & decided to change them.
Got them changed & put it all back together via the Harley service manual.
Now when I start it, it backfires at least once,sometimes a couple of times, but then it does start and once it's running it sounds fine.
Here's my question: Could I be like one tooth off on the timing and that's why it backfires or should there be something else I'm missing or didn't do just right?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
Who did the cam tensioner conversion ?

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
So if ya had the cam plate off did you service it or just replace the spring tensioners ? There is a procedure for servicing the cam plate when R&R on the tensioners.
If you want gear drive then you should have checked the pinion runout when you had the cam plate off. Ya know !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So if ya had the cam plate off did you service it or just replace the spring tensioners ? There is a procedure for servicing the cam plate when R&R on the tensioners.
If you want gear drive then you should have checked the pinion runout when you had the cam plate off. Ya know !
I actually took the cam plate to a shop to have the tensioners replaced because I don't have the right tools to change them mtself.
As far as a gear set, I know whats involved in converting them, but I don't have that kind of money so that's not really an option at this time.
If I do get the money I'll have a shop do the conversion because, again, I don't have all the right tools.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,212 Posts
Dang it Jarhead you did not find the Youtube vid by Shane Connolly. You will have to do it over and do not run the motor anymore!

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,212 Posts
PS Youtube is our friend... and so is SCHMIDTY.

Reactions: SCHMIDTY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang it Jarhead you did not find the Youtube vid by Shane Connolly. You will have to do it over and do not run the motor anymore!

Ya i did watch his video.
That's how I disassembled it.
But when you try to watch his video on re-assembling it he wants a monthly fee & I'm not going to pay a monthly fee for something I only going to use once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts