Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 96 flstn about 8 months ago it is lowered looks cool but it rides rough real stiff I want to have a lowered look but I want it to ride with a dft ride, I'm not sure how it's lowered it has to shocks in the Bottum that look like they are adjusted all the way out but not sure. Any thoughts on what I should look for on the bike?

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Not sure what you are looking for, but you could get an air ride and air it up while riding and slam it down when its parked.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
No you can get a good ride with a good quality shock. But if you get a lowered/shorter shock, you won't have as much shock travel and won't have as good a quality of a ride. Air may be the best way to have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Progressive shocks. You'll have to take a loan out to get em but they will give you a nice ride. I have the 13inch with the 12" look, the 944's on my electraglide. Man they cost a lot! Now that the sticker shock has gone away they were worth it.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I'm not a softail owner, but have read that lengthening the shocks lower the bike, shortening them raises it. Try shortening them up and see if you can find a happy spot for looks and ride. All it will cost is your time.

·
Wayward Son
23,356 Posts
I'm not a softail owner, but have read that lengthening the shocks lower the bike, shortening them raises it. Try shortening them up and see if you can find a happy spot for looks and ride. All it will cost is your time.
Yep. The Softails shocks are bass-ackwards compared to a normal swingarm.
Has to do with the pivot point where it attaches to the frame.
Shorter\shortening the shocks actually lowers the rear tire, axle\pivot point center line, in relationship to the pivot point. Thereby raising the rear of the bike.
Lengthening would of course have the opposite affect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts