Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2014 SG with just megaphone slip on exhaust. I added the VIED from night rider to add little more fuel. I am interested in adding an open style air cleaner. Night rider indicated I would be fine and would not harm the bike at all. He suggested setting the VIED at 25% which I currently have it set at 20%. He stated I don't need a fuel controller and that from 2008-2015 the new harleys ECM can handle such changes. Did anyone do this change with just the VIED? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
I would bump it up to next setting see how it runs. From what I know of mine they only effect part throttle settings. WOT is just that not much change. Run it, check engine oil temps and plug conditions.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Night rider stated this:

In commons mans terms, most exhaust/ac changes can be made without having to worry about doing anything in closed loop ECM's like you have.
But it is nice to try to 'tune' the engine.
It is just a matter of how much money you are willing to use in fine tuning your engine. (how far can you fall off your wallet or are you willing to fall off your wallet)
In most situations, tweaking the O2 sensor with the XIED/VIED is quite adequate. It works with the ECM and can add quite a bit of fuel.
There are some instances where the exhaust is not closed loop friendly (drag pipes, some 2-1, some custom exhaust), or the Rider is willing to pay for the type of fine tuning that can come with proper dyno tuning, but the majority of Riders with conservative riding styles just want the rough edges taken off the OEM emissions tune.

Your megaphone muffler is impacting the reversion in the exhaust. The 25% setting compensates for this. The air cleaner has little impact on the required setting, but you might adj ust +12 to see how the bike runs (does it seem better).

You are not going to hurt the bike with some +/- adjustments.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last statement from night rider:

No. The XIED/VIED are altering the O2 sensor signal and forcing the ECM to maintain a constant fuel ratio. You are thinking like a carburetor guy or an EFI tuner with an open loop system (no way to monitor air flow or fuel ratios directly).

The typical HD mechanic cannot explain the difference between an open and closed loop ECM, how adaptive learning really works in closed loop ECM's and what the real limits are for adaptive learning. They want to dyno tune your bike, but then show you a 100% throttle chart as if it has real world meaning when you spend 95-98% of your time riding under 50% throttle, so why not show you the 10,20,30,40,50% throttle dyno charts before and after?

There is nothing wrong with dyno tuning. But not all dyno tuning is created equal and the simple truth is that most Riders with exhaust/air cleaner upgrades do not need it when your HD Delphi closed loop ECM will automatically compensate on its own. Riders have been conditioned to believe their engines are 'not right' from Harley-Davidson, but these engines are set at AFR's very similar to your average automobile. I do not see too many Riders taking their Chevy or Ford or Honda back to the Dealer for dyno tuning. The average HD Rider has unrealistic expectations about sitting on top of 100 CID of air cooled engine over hot asphalt. Then they start messing with their engine and tend to trust Riders/Mechanics who believe in tuning theory around since Shovelhead days as the best way to treat a modern EFI system? The majority of the HD industry thrives on old school, which is not good when it comes to mechanical engineering.

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
Cannot beat the price for use on basically stock engine. Ride Safe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts