Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new forum poster, but wondering if it is normal for a 2006 custom 1200 sportster to have 25mpg? I am a big guy and was told by a mechanic, being a big guy it's like a small truck hauling a whale and will use more gas, is this to be true?

And on another topic, is there anything I can do to the front end of these bikes, I really don't like the look and was wondering if I can have it come out more. heres my bike, and any other tips to improve the look of it is greatly appreciated.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Welcome from eden nc... did you mechanic really say that? Wow.... but there are many customization things that you can do you your bike...take a look at the show me your sportser thread and look at everybody's bike and you can get ideas on what can be done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea he said that and said, to put it blountly like it would help ease it and all lol, thanks the 2 of you. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm getting 40+ mpg highway/city riding on my 2014 Sportster 72 with stage 1 exhaust, air filter and tuning. I'm 5'6", 165 lbs and have a bigger windshield on my bike but would be surprised if rider size made that much difference.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,048 Posts
Shanvhere, I'm anything but a small guy, but I can tell you that even though I ride a larger bike, the same principle stated by your "mechanic" would apply in my case. I track my mileage, and I have been on a serious weight loss program since October. I have lost a lot of weight and have seen zero change in my mpg. Where there is some validity to the argument about weight of rider vs mpg, 25 mpg on a Sporty just doesn't sound like everything is going perfectly on that engine.
BTW, nice looking bike!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
maybe you should put flubber in there. couldn't resist hahahaha
nice looking scoot. i like extended front ends (watch it wise akers)hahahahahaha
i get roughly 34 mpgs on my scoot its not a sporty but thats close to my mpg. now if i romp it an stay that way it drops like a rock

·
Registered
569 Posts
new forum poster, but wondering if it is normal for a 2006 custom 1200 sportster to have 25mpg? I am a big guy and was told by a mechanic, being a big guy it's like a small truck hauling a whale and will use more gas, is this to be true?

And on another topic, is there anything I can do to the front end of these bikes, I really don't like the look and was wondering if I can have it come out more. heres my bike, and any other tips to improve the look of it is greatly appreciated.

I don't know how big you are but I'm over 300 pounds and riding a bigger and heavier bike too, and I still get 45 to 48 MPG on the highway pretty consistently.

·
Registered
42,600 Posts
I'm guessing your mechanic is not on the short list (short bus maybe) for winning the Nobel Prize for Physics....

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Well, first we need to know about your riding style. Is this mileage mostly around town, or mostly highway? On the highway about how fast? Around town, how much stop and go, and is that with a lot of stop light grand prix?

I get about 40 MPG in mixed, mostly highway riding. Dead stock 2005 883 Sportster. I can get 50-60 mpg, if I ride at 60 mph+- on the highway for long periods.

Being a "big" guy, your mileage will be somewhat less, but that in itself isn't the issue.
Sportster's don't get the very best fuel mileage. Just a fact of life. But if yours is stock, or has been modified correctly, you should be seeing better mileage.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
shanevhere, I have owned 2sportys in the past and at 200 lbs I got just under 40mpg. 25 is the worst I have heard.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Like bobf said about your riding style. If you ride in the city all the time with short jaunts on the highway, I can see maybe 25mpg worst case scenario. If you are basically going from 0 to 40 and stopping every few blocks and doing 0 to 80 for short distances getting on and off the interstate your mileage will suck.

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
Unless you're pushing a grand I think there something up with your bike, man.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Run it at higher Rpms. Sportsters like it.
On the highway I stay in 4th til I'm traveling over 70 and basically run it one lower gear then I did when I got it. Used to get mid 30s and now low to mid 40s mixed riding.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Even if you are over 300 pounds the bike should still get about 40 mpg. I would start looking for a better mechanic.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
I'm guessing your mechanic is not on the short list (short bus maybe) for winning the Nobel Prize for Physics....
Nor is he the sharpest tool in the shed...

O.P. I was about 175 with with a punched out Sporty 1200. There's no way I could get that low, on mileage. Low's in the 40's cruising real easy it got in the 50s.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Dude I weigh 270 and ride a sporty. I average about 40 mixed between highway and city. Less if I ride harder (fast accelerations) but shoot for 25mpg I would say there needs to be a tune up done on that bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts