Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at trading in my softail and purchasing my first touring bike.
I am vertically challenged at 5' 4" so I have not previously been able to ride a full size touring bike.
I sat on the new Ultra Limited Low and my feet are on the ground but not flat on the ground. I am on the balls of my feet and really could use about another 1/2 to 1 inch down.
I rode the bike and am very comfortable with the handling and can get my feet down when I stop but would be more comfortable flat footed.
I am already using riding boots with a 2 inch heel.
My first remedy will be to have the seat sculpted down a little.
Does anyone know if there is any other shock absorber or anything else I can do to get the bike down just a touch more without ruining the ride?

thanks...
Edit/Delete Message

·
Banned
71 Posts
I am vertically challenged at 5' 4" so I have not previously been able to ride a full size touring bike.
I sat on the new Ultra Limited Low and my feet are on the ground but not flat on the ground. I am on the balls of my feet and really could use about another 1/2 to 1 inch down.
I rode the bike and am very comfortable with the handling and can get my feet down when I stop but would be more comfortable flat footed.
Does anyone know if there is any other shock absorber or anything else I can do to get the bike down just a touch more without ruining the ride?

thanks...
Edit/Delete Message
Recontouring the seat should give you the extra inch you are looking for . :)

·
Retired citizen
24,502 Posts
If you lower the suspension the ride will be affected especially if you are considering the FLHX model.
I agree with the seat mod.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Mean City Cycles is known for their ability to customize seats while doing a top notch job. Just contact them ASAP since they might have a waiting list.

·
Registered
147 Posts
70 year old friend of mine that is short rides a modified short 2013 ultra. he was impressed with my 2014 limited - when the local dealer put the 2014 short limited on the floor he had to have it - got a good trade for his - on the cold ride home he noticed there were no heated grips and the ride was stiff - hurting his back - when he got home noticed there are no air shocks just a short cheap stiff shock - harley told him there are no airshocks that will fit - they recommended an aftermarket progressive adjustable shock set cost $700. he also purchased the heated grips - you want to trust harley and give them all your money but the little things get in the way - why are they selling a stripped down limited at full limited price? why don't they take care of that guy with the 883 engine prob - harley stands back with their arms crossed and hide behind their dealers rather than to work with dealers and hold them accountable. just one nasty ordeal will wipe out many new bike sales. at my business everybody leaves the front counter happy and satisfied - we have immediate problem resolution in the customers favor.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
70 year old friend of mine that is short rides a modified short 2013 ultra. he was impressed with my 2014 limited - when the local dealer put the 2014 short limited on the floor he had to have it - got a good trade for his - on the cold ride home he noticed there were no heated grips and the ride was stiff - hurting his back - when he got home noticed there are no air shocks just a short cheap stiff shock - harley told him there are no airshocks that will fit - they recommended an aftermarket progressive adjustable shock set cost $700. he also purchased the heated grips - you want to trust harley and give them all your money but the little things get in the way - why are they selling a stripped down limited at full limited price? why don't they take care of that guy with the 883 engine prob - harley stands back with their arms crossed and hide behind their dealers rather than to work with dealers and hold them accountable. just one nasty ordeal will wipe out many new bike sales. at my business everybody leaves the front counter happy and satisfied - we have immediate problem resolution in the customers favor.
Limiteds come standard with heated grips, maybe he should have test road the bike prior to purchase.
As for the 883 the dealer was the issue not the MoCo.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Reactions: tekslk

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
?

·
Registered
35 Posts
:what?:cowdung Must suck to be you ! The Mo Co uses the rather expensive Premium Lo-Profile touring shocks on the bike rather than the less than desirable lo-profile air shocks. As for the handle bars, they are of a different design and the heated grips would not fit. Look for them to be on board by next year. If your friend would take the time to read the owners manual, he will find excellent instructions on how to adjust the shocks.

·
Registered
1 Posts

thanks...
Edit/Delete Message
hi bill from bristol england five foot 3 had ultra low 6 months put on air shocks lowers her by 3 inches ideal when monovering about lookat dirty works cheers bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also own a 2015 Ultra Limited Low. I put the standard heated grips on mine. The diameter of the standard grip is larger than the non-heated grip that comes with the "Low". HD felt that smaller riders would have smaller hands even though that's not always the case. As far as air shocks go....I don't miss them at all! Got tried of filling them up and dealing with leaks.

For BillNich who began this thread..... just a suggestion but instead of boots with just 2" heels you may want to find boots with thicker soles too. I wear Durango Stirrup Boots and they have 1/2" soles, but then again I'm 5'9" so flat footing on the "Low" isn't an issue for me.

The only thing I changed on my "Low" was the seat. I went back to the standard seat which doesn't push me forward like the "Low" seat does.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I had mean city narrow my seat then memory foam, it got my feet on the ground, about 200 with shipping both ways. I also put progressive shocks on that lowered it 1 inch rides much better then stock and can easily be adjusted for weight changes of passengers and equipment.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Tekslk....are you saying that you took a "Low" and lowered it even further?? If so WOW! Doesn't that kill your ground clearance? When I bought the J&S Jack (which has the lowest folded height of any jack on the market) it barely fits under the "Low"....probably by less than 1/4". So if you actually lowered a "Low" even further I doubt you could ever lift it off the floor with a jack.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.